Esp + glow plug + brake warning lights on

eamonzo

Reaction score
Hi,

The back brake lights are out on my 03 1.9tdi A4 aand these warning lights are flashing.
I first tried changing the bulbs. No joy, so I had a look at the fuse and it looked fine.
I had a read about and a lot of people were saying it's the brake light switch, but the funny thing is my center brake light still works!

I rang Audi and they confirmed that all 3 brake lights work off the same brake switch.

I'm a bit baffled now, any ideas??

TIA

I know it makes no sense, but I'd try a switch as I think I've heard of this before.

Were the bulbs you replaced blown? I'd check the PCB where the bulbs attach to with a multimeter too. It's going to be brake light circuit related somewhere along the line I'm sure.

I get these issues when i switch headlights on??????
So turn off and on (engine) then it dosnt happen.

I have started to get the same symptoms as above poster, anyone know of any culprits, I have aftermarket hids fitted, from hid direct, if that helps

Bad hids can bring up these dash lights.
I would have these lights come on all of a sudden, turn engine off, dash lights would go out. Turns out when I would brake, the dash lights would come up again!
Took hids out, put back to oem, all good.
My verdict, Hids and the brake switch/servo don't get on..

I had all of your symptoms driving along the lights either would be on when not even in use, quick check would be to remove the brake switch from the pedal and see if you can push in the actuator, the one I replaced on mine would not return very well compared to a cheapy one bought from euro car parts £12:00 no problems since I replaced it.

Had a similar thing with a Landy a while ago.. different car I know, but the brake light switch incorporated 2 switches, one for the brake lights, and one for the ABS / cruise control, the cars ECUs monitored both switches, if they didn't go on and off together it would bring on traction and ABS lights... new switch cured it.

with the break switch gone it will still work the center brake