ESP Fault

mike140tdi

Reaction score
Hello evryone. I have a 54reg Seat Toledo sport 2.0tdi and the traction control/esp isn't working.(normally wouldnt bother but spinning wheels everywhere in this weather) The light on the dash doesn't light even if I hold the switch to turn it off. The ABS is fine as i checked the fuses. Any idea's would be great. Cheers

Could be related to MAF sensor as on some VAG engines ESP disables when you disconnect MAF, just a theory....

Also are you sure traction control works in 1st gear? A lot of diseasals have it disabled in 1st....

I had a similar problem with being unable to deactivate the ESP in my Allroad. It transpired to be caused by a faulty suspension height sensor, as a result of which the ESP deactivation was disabled. When I fixed the sensor (short to earth) the ESP would deactivate too.

What fault codes does VCDS show?

Hi Chaps and thanks for the replies. Tryed the 1st gear option first and just spins the wheels up to 4th gear. As for the suspension idea.... it had shocks fitted earlier in the year so pop it on the ramp and have a look at the wiring ect. Did your light come on, on the dash or stay off? Cheers

Did your light come on, on the dash or stay off?

By default my ESP is active, and the dashboard light is off. To deactivate the ESP I press the button, at which point the dashboard light comes on. This is how things should work on the Allroad, and how mine is now (which is useful given current driving conditions).

When I had a fault I couldn't deactivate the ESP and the dashboard warning light stayed resolutely off, other than very briefly during the ignition-on startup check (mind you, I had the suspension and Xenon self-levelling warning lights on constantly to make up for it).

I couldn't tell you if the ESP was actually working or not at the time however, because the weather was fine and I wouldn't have noticed on the road.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

You should give up your day job and be tect support. Had the car on ramps this afternoon and found wiring rubbed away on the coil overs that wear fitted. Great help cheers.

Glad be be of help, and very glad you've got your problem sorted.