ESP FAULT Help!?!

Jkky-A3

Reaction score
Hi I recently changed my ignition cylinder, in doing so I had to disconnect my battery and then take my steering wheel, airbag and all out, I did this over a few days (due to the frustration of a few clips here and there :sadlike: ) After finally getting it all back together and having the car starting again, immediately the ESP fault see owners manual came on and, It went away for a while if I'm remembering it correctly but only temporarily until it came back on which know is seemingly permanent, as well as the traction control light. I was wondering if anyone would be able to shed some light as I'm going to have to face MOT in a month :rulez:

I've heard of people changing the battery and the esp fault going away and am thinking of going to get the battery checked. Any help would be much appreciated as I'm at a loss thanks. Will upload a picture later

Have you driven it since? Mine go off within a short drive

ok might need vcds to reset it properly according to ross tech

Reactions: abmat
I would hazard a guess at a wheel bearing.
The abs encoder ring to be precise, that is attached to the wheel bearing.
Get a scan to establish which one if indeed it is this.
Sorry to be vague, but this type of thing pops up regular on here.
I think it is just coincidence that you have done work to the ignition barrel.
I may be wrong though lol.
I ain't no mechanic

This might not help, but have you tried turning the steering wheel full left lock and then full right lock and then travelling some distance ?
When I changed the battery on my A3 the whole dash lit up like a Christmas tree and the only way to get all the lights to go out was to do the above....
Worth a try....

I fitted cruise control on my A4 and had to remove the airbag etc ..mine went off after a short drive. Get someone to reset with VCDS and scan for faults. Also check all connectors are back in place on the parts you removed. Good luck

So it’s saying that it’s a steering angle sensor problem, either broken or I haven’t connected it back up properly, I’m leaning on I probably broke it :frown new: As it wasn’t letting him go to reset it as it was a permanent fault? Fs

I had a quick read there and it said mechanical failure and a possible cause of this could be incorrect installation position, this stands considering I did but the steering wheel back on slightly off, so if I’m holding the wheel straight the car is turning slight to the left! It did say mechanical failure when the car was diagnosed too
I don’t know if this could be the reason but it’s worth a shot I’ll try and take it apart and get it straight on tomorrow! Fingers crossed as would save the wallet :friends:

When you put it on centred you may need to go into the brakes module and perform a calibration.

I tried to take the steering wheel of and spin the ring to get it back to where it was supposed to be, tried counting the amount of turns and then halving it although it was 8 and about 3 quarters so I just halved 8 and put it back 4 turns, this still had the car pulling to one way so I tried again and then starting pulling the other direction!! Esp light still obviously on getting really frustrated so going to leave it for today.
Would I need vcds in order to properly put the steering wheel back on and have it drive straight

I ,dont see the problem here ? get the wheels straight and fit the steering wheel so its in the right position. Then turn it lock to lock several times and check /adjust if needed

Don’t you need to connect vcds to to test the ring is working? I’m sure I read when looking up an airbag fault that if you mess with them too much it can ****** them.

Got the steering wheel back straight when I’m driving after a few hours :superman: the esp light still on thinking I may have to get it reset with someone, hopefully that’s it I’ll update again thanks everyone for the help so far :wub:

I think the steering limit need to be calibrated, it will require going into the brakes module etc.

Do a VCDS scan to know the root cause.

Reactions: abmat