ESP Fault After Changing Battery

chrisb72

Reaction score
Just changed my car battery and after starting up with the new battery fitted the ESP Fault light has come on with a yellow steering wheel symbol on the dashboard!

Can someone shed any light on this or do I now need to visit my dealer?

I don't have VCDS do access any fault codes.

I didn't have the fault before changing the battery.

Thats normall mate, just have a drive round the block, it will go off after a few hundred meters.

Did your steering get all wobbly on you for a bit?

Didn't have chance to notice any steering problems as the ESP light had gone off by the time I reverseved out of the drive.

It gave me a sinking feeling for a second as I thought I'd messed something up during the change over!

Same. I was actually on the way to a mechanic with vagcom to check it then it went off as i was driving. The steering wheel symbol was on as i pulled out onto the main road and the car was pulling all over the place for a few seconds then the light went off and steering went back to normal.

Same. I was actually on the way to a mechanic with vagcom to check it then it went off as i was driving. The steering wheel symbol was on as i pulled out onto the main road and the car was pulling all over the place for a few seconds then the light went off and steering went back to normal.

To be honest my panic was short lived after I received 2 very quick replies to my forum thread and I also found confirmation of what the warning fault was in the owners manual.

I'm sure there is some technical logical reason for it, but it seems a bit strange to me!?

I think its just due to the system resetting itself somehow. I reckon a few meters of driving passes signals to the ecu which shows there are no faults n then the lights go off. The steering is probably recalibration, or its figuring out its position

Hi all

I have a A3 and on three occasions now the car has somehow disconneced itself and the esp light and steering light (both yellow) come on, but dissapear after i drive off.. The weired thing is this has occured after heavy rain only!!! :s

My question is

Do i need a new battery?
Is my battery faulty?

But it doesnt explain, only happening in haevy rain.

Cars not in warranty so cant get a vagcom plugged in unless i pay the stealers £140!!!!!!

Where you based fella, as plenty of us here have vcds and will do a scan for a little drink :)

Hi ya im based near enfield... Ha just saw you from enfield..