Facelift ESP/ESC Malfunction Help !

ASRman

Reaction score
Hi Guys

So had my FL S3 for three months now without any hassle until tonight, driving along at a cruise at around 50mph , decided to accelerate briskly up to 70mph as I merged into freeway , before I do so I switch ESC to sport as I always do, and immediately floor it, as soon as I do the car makes a loudish juddering vibrating noise which could be felt through the wheel and the dash showed esp fault and flashing yellow engine warning light , I immediately slow down and pull into a nearby service station , switch the engine off and turn back on and there is no nice sign of any such vibration and in addition both warning lights have strangely disappeared!?

Any idea what this could be !? Was thinking of popping down to dealer next week to find out what it was as it was quite startling when it did happen , but now the car seems to drive ok !

Imo that's the car going into limp mode.

Under similar conditions I've had an injector go and a coil pack go at separate times within the last year. From my research on here it's a common issue with this engine at high revs. Since it it intermittent with yourself it's likely more the coil pack. Check with the engine cover off if any of the spark plugs are covered in soot.

Hmm it would seem like more than mere limp mode, I didn't get a reduced power message or anything of the sort, the vibrations felt through the wheel felt more like abs kicking in constantly, which makes sense as ESC applies braking to the wheels does it not ? Seems like potentially an electronic malfunction with the esc system, hopefully will not happen again if it does its going back to the dealer.

Anyone else have any ideas ?

When the injector went it was a violent judder then the yellow light went on and I'd lost most of the power. When the coil pack went, it was fine for careful driving at low revs but was exacerbated violently at 4-5k plus and much worse under acceleration.

Anyone else willing to chime in please much appreciated