ESP & ABS lights illuminated and handbrake light flashing.. “Brake Fault”

Billy0123

Reaction score
Hi all,

Was looking for any sort of advice or direction.

So, as described in the title, they’re the symptoms. Performance wise, it’s still running absolutely fine. I’ve not felt a change in power or the brakes.

I took it to an auto-electrician for a scan, and it shown: “16352 - Control Module - Electrical Error Malfunction”. As it was towards the end of the day, he advised it didn’t tell him much, and he’ll try clearing the code and then see what happens. Strangely, it didn’t re-appear all night and I was driving for at least 30-40 minutes.

In the morning, they did re-appear. So, I took it back to the electrician for another scan. This time, it read: “01130 - ABS Operation Not A Plausible Signal”. So now it’s reading another error. He advised I speak to Audi to see what they say, as the cars recently been in for an ECU update, and the emissions update. He thinks that may have caused this issue (if there is an actual issue).

I’ve checked all fuses and they’re all fine.

Am I going to have to do a more in depth scan?

Any help would be much appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,341
What's the condition of your battery like? Whilst this could be a more complex ABS/traction control electrical problem, I notice that it was OK during a long drive but came on again after standing overnight - typically when older batteries start to fail. A failing battery in a modern car will go into a "management mode" where it cuts off features like ABS to focus its essential drive/start functions.

What's the condition of your battery like? Whilst this could be a more complex ABS/traction control electrical problem, I notice that it was OK during a long drive but came on again after standing overnight - typically when older batteries start to fail. A failing battery in a modern car will go into a "management mode" where it cuts off features like ABS to focus its essential drive/start functions.

I’m not exactly sure what the battery life is like. I’ll have to get someone to check for me. I can add though that I disconnected one of the terminals a few weeks ago to try resolve an issue where my central locking wasn’t working. When I reconnected it I got a load of lights illuminated on the dashboard. My farther mentioned something about getting it recoded? Long story short, it was down to a broken wire within the door hinge. He soldered it back together and the electrics on the driver door started working other than the locks on the 2 front doors. Now that was due to a short circuit which blew the fuse. Could it possibly be that this has caused recent issues?

Do you reckon it’s worth trying a new battery?

Thanks

if the battery is older than 3 years it might be time, but it sounds like there is either a wiring issue or grounding issue
with the 8p generation the fuse holder is prone to rust and corrosion so start by cleaning all of the fuses, check the ground just at the top.

my s3 had a massive fire in its life by a poor tuner before i took owner ship and there was a small hole in the abs module, best to start hunting eBay for your exact module code just in case, pump not so important but the model numbers have to match

i ended up with a 2wd s3 for 2 months and 100 pounds later after i shipped replacement module from canada.

if your speedo doesn't work then you def have an abs module issue

You problem sounds similar to what I had and was subject to a recall by Audi for abs module update , check with Audi it’s all done for free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if the battery is older than 3 years it might be time, but it sounds like there is either a wiring issue or grounding issue
with the 8p generation the fuse holder is prone to rust and corrosion so start by cleaning all of the fuses, check the ground just at the top.

my s3 had a massive fire in its life by a poor tuner before i took owner ship and there was a small hole in the abs module, best to start hunting eBay for your exact module code just in case, pump not so important but the model numbers have to match

i ended up with a 2wd s3 for 2 months and 100 pounds later after i shipped replacement module from canada.

if your speedo doesn't work then you def have an abs module issue

I’m planning on trying a new battery today mate. Do you know if any coding needs to be carried out after connecting up the new battery?

I’ll get my electrician to take a look at the fusss, wiring etc.

Also, my speedo is completely fine. Along with the temp and fuel gauge. Literally just the lights that come on.

Cheers.

You problem sounds similar to what I had and was subject to a recall by Audi for abs module update , check with Audi it’s all done for free

Ahhh really? Yeah I have Audi a call a few days ago. They advised I book it in for a check. So that’s booked in for Friday. Fingers crossed it’s the same issue as you had!

Did you take your car into Audi for an ECU update anytime recently?

Mine went in first week of September, software update didn’t work so new module fitted free and got new courtesy car to use , stansted Audi did it

Reactions: Billy0123
new module needs to be erased and coded, but if speedo and fuel is fine then its either the grounding issue or brake switch or the recent abs software error that audi has found

Reactions: Billy0123