Esme's 450bhp A3 8L track car project.

Ok thanks.

What is the A/R of this GT3076 ? And what is the pressure in charge ?

I think this project could be good if it's done sensibly.

it's worth stating right now, at the start, that to build and develop a track car with 450bhp, that will reliably lap all day at a respectable pace, you're looking at an absolute MINIMUM 20k outlay to get it going as an estimate.

If that figure isn't too daunting, then by all means carry on, and I look forward to seeing it :)

Prawn, is this your estimate labour and Parts?

Fortunately we have the labour side sorted so will be spending majority of the budget on Performance / Parts and will need to use the experts for recaps etc to get the car running perfect!

Look forward to the jobs slowing down allowing us to jump on the car.... Soon.

Prawn, is this your estimate labour and Parts?

Fortunately we have the labour side sorted so will be spending majority of the budget on Performance / Parts and will need to use the experts for recaps etc to get the car running perfect!

Look forward to the jobs slowing down allowing us to jump on the car.... Soon.

Cost estimate is solely in parts my friend.
Costs to do it properly are WAAAAAAAAY higher than most people realise.

A very rough break down that wouldn't be a mile off:

Forged bottom end: 1k
Head build: 1k
Turbo: 1.5k
Manifold/DP/exhaust: 1500
Cams: 500
Clutch/ flywheel: 500
Haldex controller: 500
FMIC/pipework/inlet: 500
Cage: 1k
Seats: 1k
Belts / steering wheel: 500
Front brakes: 2k
Wheels / tires: 2k (to get 2 sets, wet and dry, not new prices)
Suspension: 2k min (GOOD coil overs, bushes, arbs)

Those are just the basic essentials I. Can think of, and youre not likely to save a huge amount of any of then without compromising the car. Some will cost more, and I've by allowed for a huge amount of small bits and bobs that will undoubtedly be required along the way.

I think the above adds up to 15.5k, so the 20k very rough ball park wasn't a million miles off!

Reactions: Esme's
A reinforced gearbox will be essential with that kind of power too. If the car hasn't already got it, the 6-speed 02M box is what you would want.
These have larger clutch and flywheels and are stronger than the 5-speed box as standard.

Right ok, didn't know that. :) Still with that amount of power reinforcement would be required.

Not really... Bill supports a FWD TT race car with >450hp... this has a std 02M box and obviously an LSD... this works fine and has done for many seasons... as does mine with >550hp/400ftlbs...

Its a grey area of course when pushing this power especially in a quattro but track use should be fine... its drag strip stuff and the really high power 20v's that break boxes...

There is a thread in the FAQ's thats starting to cover 02M upgrades should you feel inclined... biggest failure on 02M's are selector forks and diff bearings

<tuffty/>

If this was my project I'd seriously be considering ditching the fake 4wd - Will be a good 150kg's (or so) less to throw about the tack and will still be taking advantage of the intendant suspension at the rear end.

Set up like this properly it should be more nimble than any A3 or S3 that has gone before...

That's me though, but perhaps some food for thought!?

A reinforced gearbox will be essential with that kind of power too. If the car hasn't already got it, the 6-speed 02M box is what you would want.
These have larger clutch and flywheels and are stronger than the 5-speed box as standard.

02M 6spd in the TT. std box, with plate diff.
been very reliable. (selector forks are bolted I believe)

Good news, the Green Performance Air Filter arrived tonight, along with the 80mm MAF (cheers Tom!)
Removed the old filter and MAF along with heat shield, installed the new set up and removed the battery so will be looking at re fitting it in the boot area to free up the space.
Also will be doing the N429 Bypass this week. Will start taking photos to post up.

Reactions: A3-Lee and tonio94
Photos Will be Posted Over the Weekend of the first Phase of the Strip out!

Little Result when stripping the interior out!

Reactions: VAG-Slag
Oh Dear......Looks like a Flintstone Car to me! Little Repair required here or to cut the floor out and run.

All Stripped out inside for now, Next on is to clean and tidy up then strip out any electrics no longer required then start buying the interior requirements I.e seats roll age etc! Getting the inside Track then Chasis oh n got an eye on an Engine to Rebuild and create the Monster!

Image Image Image

Reactions: SamHendry
List of Chasis Mods!
RollCage
Sparco Bucket Seats
Sparco Harnesses
Sparco Steering Wheel
Sparco tow strap
Brembo big brake set up grooved and drilled
Black Poly Bushes
AP Coilovers Fadt road / Track
Team Dynamics Alloys 17"
Anti roll Strut braces
Tt Steering Rack
Track Tyres

I'm guessing you mean anti roll bars not anti roll etrur braces?

You wont need strut braces dince a full cage offers better rigidity than they ever could

Jesus where was that hole?

The hole was under the drivers seat carpet. Looks like previous owner(s) couldn't use a Jack as no other rust in the area that would suggest it has to of been a puncture of some kind no interior damage either!

If
I'm guessing you mean anti roll bars not anti roll etrur braces?

You wont need strut braces dince a full cage offers better rigidity than they ever could

If I don't need the strut braces because off roll cage that's cool!

Also depends how deep the fund is

You can get tubular control arms
http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_208_221&products_id=1525

And H2 sport front hubs for the best geometry.

Or you can use arm and hubs off a ko4 car as an upgrade on A3 ones, ko4 arms have dome camber adjustment and connect to ko4 hubs lower down this means they maintain better geometry in corners under load.

USRT have lots of nice goodies like solid front subframe bushes, steel rear bearings.

Reactions: Esme's
Image Image Filters installed and new MAF housing