ESL and ABS lights on permanently

Robw76

58 Q7 3.0 tdi , 02 A3 1.9 tdi PD100
Reaction score
hi,

My A3 has been good until I changed the front near side wheel bearing.

I was careful with the cables, plugs and wires during the bearing overhaul but could not remove the ABS sensor from the main casting ( to protect it )before removing the bearing and am wondering if it has been disturbed some how with the various hammers and presses I used to get the bearing out.

So today, I replaced the ABS sensor but the same two lights remain on permanently.

Do you need to reset the ABS system in anyway to clear faults?

What is the procedure to clear faults?

I have 2 Audi cars and can see me keeping them long term, what is the most cost effective but useful diagnostics kit to get for these cars?

Thanks

Rob

Tuffty,

VMT

Signature updated and I will start searching the forum.

UPDATE:

Managed to solve the issue. Turns out I had a wire break in the cable that comes down from the inner wheel are and plugs onto the ABS sensor.

The break was under the rubber boot at the plug end level with the plug head frustratingly.

Managed a solder/ heat shrink repair but had to add a small length of addition wire in to compensate for lost length.

For those experiencing similar issues in the future, once fixed, the ESL light went out when the ignition was turned on and the ABS light went out once driven down the road a few hundred yards.

Whilst I was scratching my head about it yesterday, I ordered a ebay VCDS lead and downloaded Lite via the links given on this site so I can get up to speed on using this type of kit.

Longer term I am looking at getting the real deal VCDS lead/ software as I believe this is the only kit to serve my newer Q7.

Anyone any ideas where I can buy a replacement cable from if the repair I made does not hold up?