Error free LED number plate bulbs for facelift 8P - a decent alternative!

Thanks for the link mate.

Research shows some cars depending on software version of the control unit have an option for led number plate lamps which can be coded via vcds. This enables you to run audi A5 oem led lamps.
Failing that the link above looks good and there's another on eBay guaranteeing success.
I'm going to check mine tomorrow after charging my laptop tonight.

Essentially if your electronics module is BCM615 then although the coding is accepted most LED's including the A5 OEM units throw an error.

Reactions: G1LLY20
Just noticed the ones I listed although they say 100% error free they only list up to 2009!!

How long was delivery on your ones mate?

Just noticed the ones I listed although they say 100% error free they only list up to 2009!!

How long was delivery on your ones mate?

Maybe two weeks - cant really remember. Note the units that work on my car may still not work on yours ... when we were testing a year ago a couple of people mentioned they had problems so no guarantees but I've spent too much money and time on other units including coding and buying the A5 OEM ones as well and yes my car has the BCM615 module.

I'll see if I can get a pic up soon.

What age is your car?
My car has bi xenons with led drls if that makes any difference to the controller software?

I highly recommend anyone that's fitted these bulbs remove them immediately.

I fitted them when I first posted this, they have been on for about 30 mins max at any time and this is what I found when removing them tonight.

0EAB1D70-14FA-4039-AFE5-EDDE992B3369_zpsctpfz4rj.jpg~original

3C745957-5D88-42CC-ABB9-3725B3B198DB_zpsrxhqy2d7.jpg~original

Not good!

Reactions: sliced
I think mine are slightly worse!!
You don't know unless you try although I wish I'd researched more as the same thing happened on this forum 18 months ago.

The ones listed earlier in this thread look like the best option.

Aaahh rubbish really? Mine are on their way...Disappointed now :/

Anyone with a decent alternative?

Was about to order a set then read all the reviews, what's the best set to buy these days without any problems?

lol ...thought as much. no worries. :salute:

Can't wait for T8ups to complete his fix, as the e-bay ones I have are too bright & light up the road behind the car too.

Yeah my last car had ebay ones and i was told it made the look like it was floating when driving away from them lol My 8P is 07 and T8UPS leds are just right :)

Very sorry to hear you've had problems with these Murray. I had these Polarg bulbs on my 3dr MY10 S3 for over a year without any problems and considering I ran the lights in Scandinavian mode (rear lights and subsequently number plate lights on full time) it's strange that I never experienced the housings melting. I did a lot of research before buying them and from what I read online most people are lucky with them and they run without issue for prolonged periods and a small percentage have problems. Just to be on the safe side I checked my number plate light housings every month and there was never any sign of them melting. Looks like it's the luck of the draw and a real shame for those with problems. It's not a risk I would be willing to take again though seeing what's happened to Murray's car, as no one wants bits of their cars to melt and cause problems down the line.

I also found some LED number plate units with 16 SMD chips and they worked perfectly on my car with no DIS errors, but I honestly felt like it would be possible to see these things from the International Space Station they were SOOO bright. I swapped them out and popped my Polarg's back in as I didn't want to blind anyone driving behind me at night. They were Plug and Play though, which was good, as no other true LED units seem to be, without issues or the need for additional resistors.

I wish I knew why Audi felt it necessary to make it so darn hard for people to make the number plate lights on their 8P3 cars from MY10 onwards look up to date. Most manufacturers are putting LED number plate lights in from factory and have been doing now for a number of years. I know it's such a little thing, but for me being a proper saddo when it came to all things 'car' it was a very real gripe I had when I had my S3. Paula xx

Reactions: Muzza80
Cheers for the reply Paula.

It is very odd, at the end of the day a 10w bulb is a 10w bulb and if they give off too much heat for the holders (remember the standard ones are 5w) then it should have been a problem for everyone or nobody.

Mine were not that bad actually likely because I removed them after a couple of weeks, there was a post I dug up and a lad had to change out the whole rear handle unit as they had melted so bad! Could have been a lot worse, I'm sure that would have caused a fire if left for long enough! :eek:

Anyway I've worked out there's two solutions:

1. Try and code them out with VCDS, some of the later S3's (2010+) have the ability in one of the modules to turn off the bulb checking for the number plate lights.

2. Buy some genuine Audi LED's from the A4, A5, A6 and fit them along with one of these: AUDI LED Adapter Kennzeichenbeleuchtung für Audi A3 S3 RS3 8P A4 S4 RS4 8E B6 B7 | eBay

One or the other will get them working on a 2010+ S3 it seems.

Going to check the module on my own car tonight and see if they can be coded first, if not then that Ebay item it is :)

Reactions: Paullie
Nice one, Murray. You'll get there for sure! You seem to be just as tenacious as me when it comes to modding your cars, lol. :wub: xx

Reactions: Muzza80
Reactions: downtothebone
They are fairly bright but not seen them in the dark yet.
If I think they're too bright I'll just mask part of the lense up but I'm sure they'll be great as they are.

Cheers for the reply Paula.

It is very odd, at the end of the day a 10w bulb is a 10w bulb and if they give off too much heat for the holders (remember the standard ones are 5w) then it should have been a problem for everyone or nobody.

Mine were not that bad actually likely because I removed them after a couple of weeks, there was a post I dug up and a lad had to change out the whole rear handle unit as they had melted so bad! Could have been a lot worse, I'm sure that would have caused a fire if left for long enough! :eek:

Anyway I've worked out there's two solutions:

1. Try and code them out with VCDS, some of the later S3's (2010+) have the ability in one of the modules to turn off the bulb checking for the number plate lights.

2. Buy some genuine Audi LED's from the A4, A5, A6 and fit them along with one of these: AUDI LED Adapter Kennzeichenbeleuchtung für Audi A3 S3 RS3 8P A4 S4 RS4 8E B6 B7 | eBay

One or the other will get them working on a 2010+ S3 it seems.

Going to check the module on my own car tonight and see if they can be coded first, if not then that Ebay item it is :)

If your car is still under warranty Audi will update the software to the newer version which can be coded for led's. I found this on another forum for upgrade bcm 615:
TPI 2029738 (SVM code 09A008)

If you google the TPI number you'll find more details on it. I just told my dealer the rear wiper was playing up sometimes and quoted the TPI and all was sorted. My car is 2011 and could be coded with vcds but there was still an error until I got the software update and coded again. If your car is BCM615 or lower I think you need a software update.
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...di-number-plate-leds-fit-a3-8p-plug-play.html

I installed the Polarg festoon ones from t8ups a few months back and this is what happened - keep an eye out ... it could have just been my 2010 car ...

7922520732_51b701f279_c.jpg

+1 for this problem.

I had these installed for a lot longer, and during the winter now I had two dry vertical lines from the number plate lights up to the back window. Took the bulbs out this weekend and the plastic has melted. Needless to say I have now replaced the bulbs with the originals.

Tried A5 holders with coding but no good. I ordered some Audi Error Free LEDs from eBay that claim to fit the 2010 cars, so will see what happens.

Just ordered these for my 2007 S3!
XTEC 18 SMD LED 12V HIGH POWER - AUDI NUMBER/REG PLATE LED - HIDS DIRECT LTD Store

They also stock a newer version for the facelift cars :)
Will let you know how I get on when they arrive!

Will

Disapointed, these arrived today so I went out to fit them straight away and they don't fit!
it says suitable and fits Audi a3/s3 2004 - 2008.
the units seemed too big, just couldn't fit even with a bit of force.

looks like I will be getting a refund on these, anyone recommend other brands?

null_zpsf4f8bf65.jpg

will

Last edited:
Disapointed, these arrived today so I went out to fit them straight away and they don't fit!
it says suitable and fits Audi a3/s3 2004 - 2008.
the units seemed too big, just couldn't fit even with a bit of force.

looks like I will be getting a refund on these, anyone recommend other brands?

null_zpsf4f8bf65.jpg

will

Will try site sponsor t8ups, he is the bulb Legend on here. :) x

Thanks for te advice Sandra, I thought tups was having problems with the led number plate bulbs? He's got a fix has he? I will pm him later :)

Thanks again

Hey mate,
My car is a 2007 S3 like yours :)
I have ordered a set from trups already should be with me very soon but thanks anyways mate

Will

Thanks trups they have arrived!

Will fit these when I get my car back from the garage :)

null_zps59c2c641.jpg

null_zps91ef33e2.jpg

Will

Reactions: JD007F and BrummieNeil89
I'll upload a pic when they are fitted mate :) just got to wait for my car to be fixed first lol

Reactions: Tonka Toy