Error Code Problem On 2.0l TDI (P2101/P2100)

makavelli

Reaction score
My emissions light came on so used my error code reader to find out the problem and knock off the dash light

2 errors came up on the reader:

P2101 Generic Throttle Actuator Ctr Motor Circ Low

P2100 Generic Throttle Actuator Ctr Motor Circ / Open

can anyone shed any light on these fault codes, im due a service in 600 miles, is there a part i need to order in which can be replaced during the service or is there a fix i can do which doesnt involve buying any parts?

andy

Sounds like you've got the dreaded (and familiar) throttle actuator failure...

There are a number of threads on this if you do a search.

I paid £203 incl shipping for a new throttle motor last month and fitted it myself. A bit fiddly but only took 20 mins....

what happens when this part goes though?

The throttle valve closes when you turn the engine off as an extra safety measure to ensure that the engine stops (although turning off the fuel supply usually does the job of that well enough on its own....)

If you're lucky and it fails fully open, then there is little if any affect.

If it fails partially closed, then you'll be restrficting the air intake to the engine, affecting performance.

You might be lucky and be able to tak it off and clean it to stop it sticking, but usually, by the time the error codes come up, the platic cogs of the motor rip their teeth off, so its a full replacement job.

The fuse usually goes in the fusebox too, so if you still get a persistent error code after replacing the motor, that needs replacing too....

thanks for the info :D

where abouts is the throttle actuator positioned? havent a clue where to start looking lol

right on the front of the engine. you can see it poking out from the engine cover, at the top of a 3-inch rubber pipe that comes up the front of the engine from the intercooler.

Search for the other threads and there are plenty of photos....

If you do change it yourself, put a strong plastic bag over the rubber pipe so that you don't drop any bolts down it.
I took the precaution and it saved me because I couldn't help but drop one of the three allen bolts, as its a fiddly job...

Replaced the throttle body at the weekend and the car is back on top form :D

cheers for the help guys

also just to note, i bought the new throttle body from euro car parts, next day delivery 175 all in :D and thats for a brand new pierburg one as well :D

andy

I've got the same problem on my B6 1.8T convertible. Car feels so slow!! Do I not need to do any vagcom stuff once you put the new throttle body on or is it plug & play?