Erratic idle + fault code

Crunch

Reaction score
Hi, Ive noticed that now and again my 2.0 tdi a3 will idle slightly erratically. Only really noticeable when sat at lights and the car will shake slightly. It only does it now and again.

When I had it remapped, the bloke looked to see if it had thrown any codes, and it had thrown something to do with glow plug number 4 circuit failure, although this could have been an old code.

Speaking to a friend, he seems to think the fault has nothing to do with the problem i've got and it's a possible sticking egr valve.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers, Dom

won't be the glow plug error causing the problem as the glow plug only comes into action when the engine is started up cold

where would i start with that? cheers

check the engine bay for hoses that have split/have holes etc.

Also, check the seals..

These can be identified as some holes may leave black marks around where the air has been escaping (the gungy black stuff thats found when the manfiold, imf, egr are stripped off..) This may only apply to the thick main pipe in the middle front of the engine where the egr is located...

I have a pic of my air leak and how i identified it and a vid of the revs bouncing but this is on my home comp. Im at my flat at uni now..Probs wont be home till nextweekend or even the weekend after but when i get chance, i'll post the pic and vid and you can compare it to yours.

My leak was inbetween the EGR and the manifold - the seal had perished as i changed the IMF and it must have moved about as they are connected...

On Vagcom, the revs were idling between 810ish and just under 850ish IIRC. It happened when i drove the car for a few mins, parked it up and started it again... It was very slight but enough to annoy me!

Thanks for the help. I'll have a look at the weekend in the daylight.

Would i not notice the leak at higher revs, or wouldnt it make noise under boost?

Would i not notice the leak at higher revs, or wouldnt it make noise under boost?

It depends on the kidn of air leak.

Mine was fine when driving - just idled a bit rough...

It depends on the severity of air leak and which pipe its leaking from...

Mine was fine when driving - just idled a bit rough...

i sometimes get this problem but it is only very rarely, not enough to really bother me much but i will check for air leaks next time im under the bonnet as this seems the most likely cause..

Hi,

Audi TDI 2.0 Sport 53 plate
My car was just serviced and timing belt change by the main dealer. I now have, what sounds like the same problem. Did you get it resolved?

Hi, Ive noticed that now and again my 2.0 tdi a3 will idle slightly erratically. Only really noticeable when sat at lights and the car will shake slightly. It only does it now and again.

When I had it remapped, the bloke looked to see if it had thrown any codes, and it had thrown something to do with glow plug number 4 circuit failure, although this could have been an old code.

Speaking to a friend, he seems to think the fault has nothing to do with the problem i've got and it's a possible sticking egr valve.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers, Dom

our was cutting out when stood in traffic - new pipes fitted and idle speed turned up.

Mine ildes a bit rough every now and then.

Its not enough to bother me though.

Not sorted it yet as i spent a few hours cleaning it today so cba working on it now. When yours does it does it do it enough to make the car noticable wobble and jiggle the passengers about. If you get out you can hear the engine, it almost sounds as if its misfiring.
If it makes any difference my cambelt was done about 1k ago (not by audi)

Strange, I just read this thread title as 'eric idle'..............