Erm.....

Dan Glybitts

Reaction score
Hi all, I find myself here after today helping a mate out and buying his car off him. I had no intention of buying a car but he said he needed a quick cash injection.

So, it's a green (?) '98 (S) S4 with 88k on the clock. It's in good nick just the usual few chips and very minor scuffs.
I didn't pay a lot but I'm sitting here with bills for 12K for upgrades in '03 spent by the previous owner to him so I'm starting to think I've bought a bit of a tool.
It's had, according to the bills, new RS4 turbos and an MTM 370 upgrade.

By **** it's quick! I'd even go as far as to say it seems every bit as quick as the Tuscan I used to have but a lot less frightening:laugh:

I know nothing about these machines. At all. So If you don't mind me hanging about and throwing in the odd (probably) stupid question, I'd like to learn.

The reg ends in FYG and the work was done at QS tuning in Haywards Heath. I will go down there at some point just to have a nose round for when servicing time comes around but if anyone knows the car or can give me some advice on keeping it in fine fettle I'd love to know.

Cheers.

Dan:salute:

Not fair. There seems to be more people on here with S4s than little 1.8ts like mine. That's quite a vee-hickle you have yourself there. Enjoy it. Welcome aboard.

Throw another grand at it (depending on what has already been fitted) and you could be running 420bhp!

Only ever seen one green S4 before.

Also, are you related to our very own Dan Gliballs?

:laugh::laugh:

Two people with the same stupid humour?

No relation i'm afraid.

I'll sort some pics out when the camera's charged but until then, tell me more about the 420 brake upgrades!!!!!!!!

:sign_welcome::sign_pics:

Thanks Mate.

Here she is....

013-1.jpg

A bit dirty, just hooned over to frogland for the day and the weather was shocking.

Managed to get a four wheel drift under hard acceleration in second out of a peage whilst showing off to a TT!!
This motor is effin quality.:jump:

Not usually a fan of green motors but that is very nice :beerchug:

tell me more about the 420 brake upgrades!!!!!!!!

Do you have a parts list of what was done for the MTM upgrade?

For 420bhp you will need upgraded intercoolers, fuelling, exhaust and a good remap. Not sure if any of those will have been changed with the MTM 370, as that power is easily obtained with just K04 turbos and no other mods.

nice front brakes too.... i bought standard, thought it better to mod myself! you always regret it when you read threads like this!

well done tho! V Nice car!

The 1st one I've sen in that colour, I like it! Nice to be different. Looks like you could have a bit of a bargain there! Get her for a health check, make sure everything's ok and you'll be golden! Or sell me all the go fast bits and brakes for the price of a few beers........

Cheers all. I have to admit the colour was the only thing that didn't do it for me but now I really like it. It's called Cactusse Green I found out.

I'll not be breaking it up, thats for sure Stapo!!!:p

I only gave £2600 for it with a brand new MOT and six months tax which now seems quite a steel. I'm lucky to have been there I spose.
I'll have to take my mate out for a ruby and quite a few beers by way of some sort of compo:lmfao:.......

I'll sort out the recipts and list the upgrades.

:beerchug:

Feck me! That's got be worth 3 times that.

Is your mate still talking to you??

Flimey! a lot of car for the money. how did he come to that price

like the wheels also :eyebrows:

Jeez that really is a bargain!!!

£2600...? Are you kidding me? ****** hell... that was a proper steal!

:moa:

No really, he was in a bit of poo a few weeks ago and let it slip that he would 'even let me motor go for a couple of grand'.
I thought about for a bit then dissmissed the idea. He kept banging on about it so I told him I'd have a think. Cut to last friday when I went to the shop we both use (we're kitchen and bathroom fitters) and it's sitting outside all clean and polished. He throws me the key so the only thing to do is give it a spanking.

My god, I was blown away. So I call him a W*nker, cos he knew I'd have it there and then and go to tell my Mrs (she works in the shop) that we're not going to Cyprus on holiday anymore.:lmfao:

With the new ticket and tax the price went up but It didn't matter by that stage......

So, to add insult to injury, the mods........ (reading from the receipts)

Movit 342mm brake kit
H&R RS4 suspension
MTM 320bhp upgrade, remap and exhaust (30/04/03)
Then..
MTM 370bhp upgrade,RS4 Turbos, fuel injectors and pump (12/12/03)

The guy obviously wasn't satisfied.

Milltek downpipes and cats
RS4 intercooler

I haven't the faintest idea what Hyperboost DV's are, but it's had those too!

All this along with new hoses, belts, a new air flow meter, Tanoga short shift, RS4 clutch bla bla bla....

I'm hardly going to complain but there are some niggles that I'm going to try and sort out.

It drives beautifully but for the wheels to clear the front calipers, spacers have been fitted and I'm told it needs spigots to align the centres as there is a bit of a wobble at speed. Also my mate bought the RS4 reps but because it sits so low he had the arches rolled and streched tyres fitted. That exposed the wheels rim and as a result they are all F*cked.
The airbag light is on constantly and the digital display is bitty. Not THAT kind of bitty!:puke2:

The interior has the cup holders missing, the seats are a bit tatty and stained (anyone know where to get leather replacements?) and the carpet is torn in some places.
The paintwork is generally in good nick but there are some areas where the laquer has crazed. There are some small scratches on it too.

So all in all, it seems to have been mechanically looked after very well but cosmetically it could do with some luvin:kissmyrings:.

pics of the interior please:photo:

if its black should be eaiser to match the rears although there are some which look black but when put into the car they have a different shade. Are you sure they can't be restored?

probably worth getting Genuine rims as they may have more clearance??:think:

with the airbag get someone who's near you get it VAG.COM scan to find out where the fault could be, more than likely if your seats have airbags there is a common fault with a loose connection under the seats.

with the cup holders yours is a pre facelift which don't have cupholders, you can convert it by talking the whole of the centre console and changing it to a facelift but will be costly and fiddly as all the buttons will have to be changed also.

HTH

Cheers ras.

There was some sort of cup holder arrangement left in the boot which I was lead to believe fitted in the hole I have in the plastic centre console to the right of the handbrake as you're looking down on it. I'll get some pics.

I'll get some of the interior too but even if it were in good nick I'd still like the leather.

About the airbag light, only yesterday someone said in passing that it was probably a loose connection under the seat, so you could be right.

I have been given the original rims too, which were on it when my mate bought, but to be honest they're in a right old mess. My pet hate is curbed rims and all of them are done, as I said including the ones on the car. I know of a place to get them done so it's nothing that a few beer tokens wouldn't sort.
I'll get the originals done then the reps and see which I like/feel better.

Thanks. Any meets going so I can annoy you with my questions in person over a few :beerchug:?

DV's are Divertor Valves. Basically allows the engine to release boost back into the intake when you lift off the accelerator (stops the turbos stalling).

From that very impressive spec list, you can basically get your **** up to MRC in Banbury, and for about £500 they will be able to get that to 410-430bhp and anything upwards of 430lb-ft of torque. I've spent over £20k getting my car to this level of spec!

The DIS (crappy LCD display thing) is a very common failure on these cars. Will cost about £150 to sort out, but really not worth the hassle unless your picky about these things.

As for the rims, it's 'hubcentric' spacers you want to stop the vibrations. These are always aligned central to the hub. You can usually only get these in 10mm+ thickness though.

Airbag light probably is the connector. A squirt of WD40 and clearing the code on Vagcom should sort you out. Or better still, solder the connections together.

As for the seats, you could get yourself some nice Recaros like these - http://audisrs.com/about5198.html

worth noting when the Airbag light is on ALL airbags are disabled, even if you sort out the connections you will need to clear the fault codes using a VAG.com you can get the lead from eBay for a few squid.

I had the issue with the airbag light issue with mine, so i took out the yellow connector and gently pull out the pin one by one and push in the fine female pin in a bit, youo will know what i mean when you take it out. I havent any issues with it since.

get those interior pics up :salute:

Fancy making a quick £200 profit? I'll give you £2800 tomorrow!!! lol

Lol, you should've all told me how rubbish it was and I'd've probably sold it on........

Cheers for all the help guys, it's refreshing to come on to a forum not knowing anything and be helped. The TVR lot were, erm, lets just say, not quite as freindly and I got to know them on a forum whilst knowing quite a bit about the cars.

The interior. It's not really tatty but could do with a proper clean....

001-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

And this is the hole that I was under the impression held some cup holders.....

002-1.jpg

Those Recaros look the dogs BT, exactly what I'll be looking for.

:salute:

no thats where the cigar lighter is on a facelift

And on a pre facelift?
The cigarette lighter is forward of the gear lever low down on the vertical face on mine.

see edited version before your post

someone on here has a pre face they would be able to help

The cup holders are toss. I've got them in mine. Always fancied replacing them with something useful... just can't think of anything useful to put there!
Actually, I see you've got cassette holders where i've got a tray big enough for my iPod. Maybe worth trying to fab something similar up to fill the hole instead of the cup holders.

I also used to have those seats. They are a real pig to clean!