Erm a little help needed

dannyjb

Reaction score
Hi all, recently my car started to puff out abit of smoke but under hard acceleration and low, if I put it say in 3rd gear at low revs and foot to the floor it's chucks loads of smoke out.

Also I have noticed sometimes the turbo feels as if it isn't working then sometimes it does?

I've just had the egr off today an it wasn't that bad but I gave it a good clean anyways to see if this had an effect but still the same.

Any ideas of what could be happening? Thanks

Hi all, recently my car started to puff out abit of smoke but under hard acceleration and low, if I put it say in 3rd gear at low revs and foot to the floor it's chucks loads of smoke out.

Also I have noticed sometimes the turbo feels as if it isn't working then sometimes it does?

I've just had the egr off today an it wasn't that bad but I gave it a good clean anyways to see if this had an effect but still the same.

Any ideas of what could be happening? Thanks

Sounds like a possible boost leak
(Check hoses etc)

In the past I have blocked off pipe going into inlet and pressured the system to 30psi and see if it holds

Just an update I have had the pipes off from the intercooler (bottom pipe) when taking this off abit of oil came out enough to soak a rag on the floor. Also the pipe to the egr/ anti shudder ... The pipe underneath the turbo and the pipe from turbo to the air filter housing this also had a residue of oil in the pipe. Couldnt find any visible splits? Next step I guess is garage job for a pressure test. But is this oil in the pipes ok?? Any help would be appreciated as it's driving me mad now haha

Assume this is the 2.0tdi in your signature we're talking about?

Plenty of gunk to be found in those pipes etc. on my car, I'm lead to believe its normal for high mileage dervs. I don't worry about it, I just remove as much stuff as possible and clean it all out and reassemble annually. I'd like to go the whole hog one day and clean the intercoolers out but not sure when I'll get time to do that or how I do it tbh.

I'd recommend removing the inlet manifold and cleaning that out if you've never done it before. There's been a recent epidemic inlet manifold flap vacuum actuators failing so if you do remove the inlet manifold you could replace that at the same time as its only about £12 for the part iirc

BTW, what colour is the smoke?

Reactions: carlcall
Do you have access to vcds? if you do try logging required vs. actual boost to make sure your turbo is working as it should. Assume you've checked the turbo for wear on seals and play in the bearings etc?

Hi yes it's the 2.0tdi cr engine it's covered 142k miles I haven't took the inlet manifold off yet maybe next job on the list but that's good if the oil is normal. And the smoke ranges from a light grey to black depends how hard I put my foot down. Sometimes it will let out smoke only when I let off the accelerator.

No I have no access to a vcds? Presuming this a computer program? I just have a handheld scanner which I had had 2 codes come up.

P0234 turbocharger / supercharger overboost ( this one has come up twice when I lost power going up a hill )

P0101 mass or volume airflow A circuit range / performance

Mine threw out smoke under acceleration, I changed where I filled up and not had a problem since.

Reactions: dannyjb
Mine threw out smoke under acceleration, I changed where I filled up and not had a problem since.
I found this too but when I put it up on the forum I got laughed outa here, so I dare not mention it again. Whatever, changing from one fuel supplier to another improved my cars smoke output.

Yes OP, it does seem (according to feedback from this forum) normal to get some oily residue inside the inlet and intercoolers and pipe work etc on older high milage diesel models.

That being said I think black smoke is a sign of a boost leak, so a smoke test could maybe identify a leak done where

Oh sorry I'm a dumb twit, didn't read your last post fully regarding the error codes. Hopefully someone can help you with these as I don't know. Total guess for over boost would be turbo actuator issues

Hmm I might give it a go and try the different fuel see how that goes, it doesn't feel/ pull like it should do something is wrong somewhere just a matter of finding what it is :search:

That's the symptoms I had after filling at Salisbury's, someone on here advised using Shell diesel so I did, never had a problem since.

Thanks for that I will do next fill up at shell and see how it is after a couple of days

Another update... Nothing that I have done but noticed today driving home from work my turbo is making a slight "turkey" noise is this a sign of sticky veins on the turbo???

Is it on throttle/boost? Seen a recent thread with a link to a good YouTube clip which explains possible reasons for the "turkey" noise. From what I remember of that video if you're getting the sound on throttle/boost then the turbo is being over boosted to the point it cant keep up, not good! This would tie in with the over boost codes you've seen from vcds.

Will see if I can locate that thread and link it in here.

Have you checked the movement of the turbo actuator? Does it move nice and freely?

cant find the clip I was thinking of but stumbled across this one regarding your P0234 code

Hard to diagnose

Boost leak?
Turbo beginning to fail?
Intercooler leak?

Have tested the intercooler and pipework for leaks?

What milage has turbo done?

It sounds as it's worn, generally the centre journal bearing starts to wear and the shaft is then unbalanced. The usual noise is caused by front or rear compressor wheel scoring the housing (front usually)

Also smoke when you back off can be rear oil seal on turbo

Well... Abit of good news abit of bad... So this morning I decided to blank off the egr both at the EGR and at the turbo.. Well it had made a massive difference in the smoke as its gone completely.. But it has intermittent boost loss so it's been to a garage who maps cars they looked at it checked codes an said it needs the egr mapping out (I thought ££££££) as he is a friend he's quoted me £50 which isn't too bad. Also for the turkey noise the air filter pipe to the turbo was just slight sitting off so refit this properly and now it quiet :))) will post update when mapped tomorrow