EPC - Start/Stop Error

jaypers777

Reaction score
A strange thing happened to me today........

Had just driven back from somewhere (about a 10 mile trip) and pulled into my local garage to use the jet wash spray, which I always use before hand washing the car. Following is the scenario:-

- Restarted car and disabled start/stop via the button (I tend to do this most of the time as I don’t like it).
- Pulled out of the garage and noticed the EPC light was lit. No other warnings.
- Pulled over and switched engine off.
- Pressed start button to restart. Engine turned over but didn’t fire.
- Pressed again and car started. No EPC but warning came up – ‘Start/Stop Malfunction, Disabled’.
- Turned engine off/on and all back to normal.

Have made a number of short tests, both with start/stop enabled and disabled. All working fine and no further EPC trouble.

Is any action required?

Could just be you blasted some water where it shouldn't have been! Keep an eye on it and if it does it again take it in for them to hook up and take a look.

A strange thing happened to me today........

Had just driven back from somewhere (about a 10 mile trip) and pulled into my local garage to use the jet wash spray, which I always use before hand washing the car. Following is the scenario:-

- Restarted car and disabled start/stop via the button (I tend to do this most of the time as I don’t like it).
- Pulled out of the garage and noticed the EPC light was lit. No other warnings.
- Pulled over and switched engine off.
- Pressed start button to restart. Engine turned over but didn’t fire.
- Pressed again and car started. No EPC but warning came up – ‘Start/Stop Malfunction, Disabled’.
- Turned engine off/on and all back to normal.

Have made a number of short tests, both with start/stop enabled and disabled. All working fine and no further EPC trouble.

Is any action required?

Gutting, if I ever get that warning I'll leave well alone as stop start in everyday normal life with S Tronic is one big gripe right now!

Have had the message "Start/Stop Malfunction, Disabled" happen a few times on mine - have asked dealer who have done checks, but no fault found. I think there are occasions when the clever electronics on these cars get a bit too clever for themselves and give out ad-hoc messages. The fact that you stopped the car, and (I assume removed the key and put it back in the ignition) before restarting would have reset the system.

Personally I don't worry about it now, its been doing very occasionally the last few thousand miles, and not caused an issue. Does it occasionally on my wife's A1 as well.

Have had the message "Start/Stop Malfunction, Disabled" happen a few times on mine - have asked dealer who have done checks, but no fault found. I think there are occasions when the clever electronics on these cars get a bit too clever for themselves and give out ad-hoc messages. The fact that you stopped the car, and (I assume removed the key and put it back in the ignition) before restarting would have reset the system.

Personally I don't worry about it now, its been doing very occasionally the last few thousand miles, and not caused an issue. Does it occasionally on my wife's A1 as well.
Thanks for the info. This is good to know. Did the EPC also light up on yours?

No it didn't, haven't had that one. Mine normally only does it if I drive a short distance (i.e. to the petrol station, which is a mile away), where of course you stop the engine and start it again after filling up. It seems to generally happen to me if the battery is just off full charge (so if start/stop were engaged, it wouldn't cut in (when you get the white start stop displayed with a line through rather than green)), i.e. when you've just started the engine. EPC is a bit worrying I'll admit, that one I would check with the dealer.