EPC light and engine cut out

Robert Verhey

Reaction score
2005 model 2.0fsi BLR prefix.

Hello all have a very intermittent problem (the hardest ones to diagnose!), where the EPC engine light comes on and the engine cuts out. Happens maybe once every couple of weeks, no rhyme or reason. Bit dangerous if I’m trying to enter an intersection.

When it happens the car cranks but won’t start, and if left for 20 minutes or so the engine starts and runs just fine.

I know EPC relates to inlet tract, I have cleaned the throttle a few times with Carby cleaner spray and checked and cleaned all the connections.

Car does not throw any codes. But check engine light is on pretty much all the time. Can anyone shed any light?

Clean your MAF.

I had this issue, but it did throw up a code. Cleaned the MAF and it’s not happened in 2 years.

Crankshaft position sensor may also be a culprit. Mine failed last week. I didn't have starting problems, but the revs would cut out at 4k and the EML would flash on.
If the MAF doesn't fix it, you may need to look at CPS next.

Unplug the MAF to see if the fault can be recreated without?

Unplug the MAF to see if the fault can be recreated without?
Funny you should mention that but the MAF plug had fallen out. But I am pretty sure that hasn’t been causing this long standing problem. Anyway I cleaned it up with some electrical contact spray and reattached.. Will put some more miles on it tomorrow and see if the EPC and CEL lights reappear. Then next stop will be CPS. Thanks for assistance so far.

Is some other connector falling out too crank/camshaft