1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Facelift Enough for a Warranty Claim on Super Sport seats?

S15THM Dec 23, 2017

1. S15THM

S15THM Daytona S3 Saloon

Hi All,

My S3 was delivered in April this year, just wondering if my seats are bad enough for a warranty claim? Unfortunately I don't think the photos show quite how bad they are. I'm only 10 stone and I'm very careful with how I get out the car as are my passengers so it's not through improper in and out techniques, (not that you should have to.)

pB6xHYg.jpg wPl15oI.jpg ule9M8f.jpg TuJAuRX.jpg

They are cared for weekly and wiped down with proper leather wipes daily.

MattSedg likes this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Carefree69

Carefree69 Registered User

They look perfectly OK to me. Am I missing something?

sve170, Zs14, SeoTFSI and 1 other person like this.
  4. MattSedg

MattSedg ex S3 owner Gold Supporter

the unavoidable creasing and sagging that all 8V seats suffer from, poor padding which Audi will rarely own up to if you were to go in and mention it.

4K and S15THM like this.
  5. S15THM

S15THM Daytona S3 Saloon

Not sure how you think the seats are 'perfectly ok' on a 8 month old car that has less than 5k miles on it, they are badly creased and the last photo the leather on the base of the seat looks very dry and almost as if it's about to burst open.

6. Carefree69

You asked for opinions, I gave mine.

I've seen more than my fair share of leather car seats in my time so yeah, they look perfectly normal to me.

You clearly aren't happy so instead of asking for opinions and reacting to ones that you don't agree with why don't you just take it back to Audi?

Job done:hi:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Pickle1970, 4K, sve170 and 4 others like this.
  7. Joetidman

Joetidman Registered User

Looks pretty standard for me. I had mine 3 years and it got worse than that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaffewEM, Phutters and Carefree69 like this.
  8. RichardT

RichardT Registered User

If you want seats to remain as new I'm afraid that cloth is the best choice.
    Mine look just like new after 3 years and 25,000 miles.

GW1, MaffewEM, glospete and 1 other person like this.
  9. Carefree69

Nail. Head.

10. deanshaw24

deanshaw24 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Or don’t use nappa leather, the leather seats on the old rs5 are like new, no creases. 3.5 years old done 20k. Not sure what the leather is on that? Milano perhaps?

11. Daz4311

Daz4311 Registered User

Mine look the same.....all supersport seats seem to do this so I don't think you will get anywhere with audi sorry

4K likes this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

As they say Up North "shy bairns get nowt"... What have you got to lose buy going into the dealer and complain about the seat, they will either accept or reject the warranty claim.

4K and MikeParkin like this.
  14. glospete

glospete Registered User

My standard leather seats are worse than that and quite frankly I’ve got worse things in life to worry about than that. I know it’s annoying and shouldn’t happen and maybe when I was 20 years younger I might have gone back and complained but nowadays I just shrug it off. But if it bugs you so much you don’t have anything to lose by complaining to your Audi dealer do you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jassyo06 and richard skilbeck like this.
  15. oli356

oli356 Registered User

The thing is, doesn't everyone have these creases etc. So what could happen?
    You get new seats, which then do the same thing.

I guess I expected it on both my 8Vs and hence it doesn't really bother me. The driver seat is worse but fortunately it is very out of sight when in the car :)

As above.. No harm in complaining to Audi I guess.

4K likes this.
  16. Mark_86

Mark_86 Registered User

It's an Audi trait I think... my SSS look very similar. Tbh, unless they start ripping open or showing past the top part of the leather, I've accepted this is how they are and if they replace them, it'll just happen again, so whats the point? OP - I think they look ok tbh mate and Audi will no doubt say the same.

17. KenL

KenL Registered User

I thought all soft leather seats did that?

It's one of the reasons I have never opted for leather seats.

GW1 likes this.
  18. mikemod

mikemod Registered User

They look better than my drivers seat
    I was looking at some new cars in the showroom, the last time I was at the dealer, and some had already started to crease.

jassyo06 and MattSedg like this.
  19. MattSedg

if you had seen the way somebody let their child climb all over a RS3 saloon when I went to a cars n coffee type thing at my local dealers....theres no wonder. :haudrauf::slapped:

mikemod likes this.
  20. TYb

TYb Registered User

Unfortunately I don’t think you’ll get far mate. It frustrating but looks like we are all suffering the creasing.

4K likes this.
  21. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Registered User

There are two separate questions here.

Is it acceptable? - No
    Is it normal? -Yes

Unfortunately, from what I've seen, they're all like this so there's very little chance of a result with Audi.

4K, azibux1, glospete and 3 others like this.
  22. MattSedg

Will they do everything in their power to say its not their fault? - F**k yes.

4K, azibux1, Mark_86 and 1 other person like this.
  23. Chris43

Chris43 Registered User

Although not a super sport seat Audi replaced my passenger seat a few weeks ago for the fault shown below. The seat had been sat in once when I took the picture so I'm convinced it left Ingolstadt in this condition.

seat.jpg

It isn't a major issue but my car is on lease and I don't a battle with Audi for seat damage when I give it back in 2020.

S15THM likes this.
  24. Daveotto

Daveotto Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Seems to be fairly normal, but no harm in trying to claim under warranty.

Current seats after 6 months are worse than my old seats were after 18 months, but are still not as bad as yours.

Do wonder if using leather wipes every day might actually make them worse due to continual moist/wet and back to dry cycling

Pook likes this.
  25. Jimbo10

Jimbo10 Registered User

Bang on point here!!
    The creasing on my seats knack me off an absolute treat and unfortunately I've just accepted that it's utter sh*t workmanship/product design/whatever you want to call it.

I've been using AutoGlym Leather balm on the creases. Work it in with a micro fibre then put another medium dab all over the creases and leave over night (or longer if the passenger seat is rarely used, like mine).
    I've been doing this for a couple of weeks and it seems to have made a slight improvement but whether or not that's psychological I don't know.

It's your car mate. Take it to Audi and get it off your chest. Worst case scenario, complain to Audi UK and they might give you some vouchers to put towards your next service or accessories etc...
    Doesn't make up for the w@nk quality of the seats but at least it's something

4K likes this.
  26. S32B

S32B Registered User

There's a joke there! but as it's a family forum I better not!!! :p

glospete, S15THM, Mark_86 and 3 others like this.
  27. Flying Scotsman

Flying Scotsman Registered User

Leather creases with wear. Do not buy leather covered seats, if you do not like creases. Cloth or faux leather may be a better choice for those who do not like how leather wears.

Phutters and Daveotto like this.
  28. GW1

GW1 Registered User

I remember reading about the same problem with leather seats on the Audi TT forum before I bought my MK2 in 2012. I settled to deselect the leather and the seats were perfect until I sold it 4 years later. When I ordered my S3 this year I deselected leather and my seats look great.

29. Mrs Wogan's Lemon Drizzle

Mrs Wogan's Lemon Drizzle Registered User

i think most of these leather care products are snake oil. My Super sports seats are the same but i don't really care tbh. It's just the leather they use. I've seen "worse" looking rolls royce seats tbh so we're in good company.

4K likes this.
  30. Daveotto

Daveotto Moderator Staff Member Moderator

But most Rollers are occupied by Lord Sugar type lardies

S15THM and Mark_86 like this.
  31. S15THM

S15THM Daytona S3 Saloon

Why should I 'settle' for cloth seats on my £45k car because the leather used is poor quality?

I did know about the issues with them before I got the car and it never changed my mind, I'm not massively worried about it but I have heard of people getting them replaced under warranty for less - but indeed if they have not changed the leather then there is little point as it will continue to happen.

32. Phutters

Phutters .

Not all cows are the same. Some have thick skin and don't mind what you say to them; some have thin skin and get upset at the slightest thing.

Leather bends and creases. If it didn't, cows wouldn't be able to walk.

You don't buy leather things which are subject to wear and expect them to stay looking new.

Daveotto, sve170, gone and 1 other person like this.
  33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. oli356

oli356 Registered User

On the plus side... at least the seats are comfy (in my opinion anyway) and love having heated seats! Use them every time I get in the car (how long till it breaks lol?)

35. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

For a start your car did'nt cost anywhere near £45k,back on topic the creasing looks a bit worse for wear,using leather wipes wont help the leather either as they are cheap ****,buy some quality leather products they should make the affected parts look a bit better,Swisswax Leather glaze and some Valet Pro leather soap,this combo will stop the creasing from becoming worse and give yours seats a wee makeover.

You gotta lift yer **** over the side bolsters when entering and exiting the car,on a side note Super Sports seats are firmer than standard seats so more caution is needed, the heating function can have a affect on the **** area panels as well ie making them ripple

DW81 and Mark_86 like this.
  36. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Seen the same problem on the 8P models, the answer was to elevate yourself into the seat using a mobile hoist.

I would ask the question though.

Daveotto, Rolly12 and Tom.H like this.
  37. Carefree69

Settle for cloth seats?

A tad elitist don't you think?

I've had a few cars with leather seats but the cloth seats I've got in my current A3 are by far the best seats I've ever had, hands down. Oh, and no creasing or bulges. Win win I'd say.

I think that the general consensus on here is that your seats are "perfectly normal". So, if you disagree then go back to Audi. Simple as that.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    4K, Daveotto and KenL like this.
  38. lozzermo

lozzermo Registered User

I would take it in and ask if they can do anything. I’ve had B8 S4, 8v S3 and now have a B9 S5 all with SS Seats and all had creases like this. S5 passenger seat looks about the same after 5000 miles. But, it’s your car and if you are not happy say so.

39. Essflee

Essflee Registered User

Mass production, c rap leather.. simple.

There’s more S3’s ect on the road today than ever,

My old S3 8L had better seats than that because it was a rare breed back then.. build quality mattered Etc, now they have a larger percentage of the market sewn up, things have gone down hill in my opinion, the 8P I had though a faster better handling car didn’t have the build quality of my previous 8L.

40. deanshaw24

deanshaw24 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

When I get out I put my hand on the sil to take my weight so the bolster doesn’t crease and when getting in I put my hand on the a pillar to take the weight! No creases so far. Only 2 months old though

41. RichardT

RichardT Registered User

But what a bore, having to remember that every time. Happy Christmas

4K and glospete like this.
  42. glospete

glospete Registered User

Yeah but at 2 months I wouldn’t expect any creasing. And what are you doing driving at such a young age?

[​IMG]

A very Happy Christmas to all forum members and your families. Drive safely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rolly12, jassyo06 and KenL like this.
  43. Rideen

Rideen Registered User

Possible problem is right here as these cars have never even seen Inglostadt as they were build in Hungary. Just saying. :D

voorhees and Dan Halen like this.