Engine Variants

bckroo

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I'm new to this forum and hailing from the great white chunk of land called Canada. I've owned my 2006 A3 Sportback for over a year now, and after a fair bit of scrolling and site searching, am wondering what kind of differences the North American cars got. I know my car and engine pretty well but it seems there's a umber of differences between what Europe and North America received, despite my car being assembled in the Wolfsburg plant.

I have the 2.0 Turbo FSI engine (apparently different then the TFSI which came out over here in 2008.5), engine code BPY or EA113. The A3 was only offered as a Sportback over here starting in 2006, and as I far I know only offered the sedan version as of 2012/13. In 2008.5 they changed from the BPY engine to a 2.0TFSI chain-timed engine, and then did the facelift in 2009, so we have no 8P1 or 8P2.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it seems you Euro guys didn't get the BPY? The only options we had over here are the 2.0Turbo FSI (BPY), a 3.2 Quattro, and didn't even get diesel until 2009.

Is there a comparable engine to the BPY? And what other differences may exist?

Cheers!

The engine codes are different in Europe, North America are other regions due to emmisions requirements in each region. However an E113 engine is the same design all over as is the E888. I gather you have one of the last E113 engines in Facelift A3 when all of UK went to the E888 engines. I can only put that down to Audi using up stocks of E113 engines and giving them the BPY code.
Wikipedia have a comprehensive list of VAG engines, see if you can make sense of that.

I was looking at that list, didn't realize all the 113's were the more or less the same, thank you. I was trying to make heads or tails of what people achieve from these engines, thanks!

I was looking at that list, didn't realize all the 113's were the more or less the same, thank you. I was trying to make heads or tails of what people achieve from these engines, thanks!
Depends on how big your wallet is.