Engine / turbo failure

Paulc33

Reaction score
As title says.
Cars an a3 8p 2.0 tdi 140 bkd engine

Last night when when going up a very steep hill I lost all power. No warning lights on and car wouldn't pull at all.
Big smell of rotten eggs as it lost power, heard a whistling noise from turbo moments before it lost power,

had car recovered and seems the turbo has lost oil and that's down the off side of car!!

today once I got it to a garage although the battery was flat but that even with a power pack on battery the car won't start.

so looks like my new year will be spent replacing the engine and turbo!!

not so happy new year.

Not good mate sounds expensive , I have a 140 bkd s line on a 56 plate what year and miles is yours? And have you ever had the turbo changed?

Mines a 2007. Done 91000 miles. Full service history.

Never had turbo replaced. Ran fine right till the moment it broke down!!o

That is poor mate mine has 115000 on clock it had the overboost issue when I bought it so had the turbo reconditioned then had the egr blanked and remapped touch wood its been great ever since hope you get sorted mate and its not too expensive

Not had it scanned yet. The garage it's at are going to have a look later and try and turn it over by hand.

Only bought the car 2 months ago!! But was private sale so no come back.
Run around it old cars mostly golfs for last 6 years with no issues. Buy a more expensive car and it fails.

Sorry to hear it mate, you'll know more once it's scanned, hopefully it will be some god damn sensor somewhere not allowing it to start

Well engine turns a bit forward and a bit back. But won't turn over fully. Turbo is shot. So dunno what to do now!!

Needs complete engine and turbo.
Going to remove head tomorrow to inspect further!!

take the injectors out and try turn the engine over, you will find you have oil in the bores preventing the engine from turning over.

Yeah I took glow plugs out and there was lots of oil in bored. Now turns over. Just hope once turbo is fitted the engine doesn't run on its own oil that's in engine. As then it will need engine as well.

Have drained inter cooler pipes and going to blow cooler through. Don't know how else to clean the cooler it's self.

If the pipework is clear and you can blow through the cooler it should be fine.
I'd leave it with both pipes off the intercooler while waiting on your turbo so any excess drains out.
I'd try and start it with the intake pipes off first and confirm its ok before putting the intake system in to the equation.

That's exactly what I was going to try and do.

Have left pipes off. May try and crank car over with glow plugs out again too and see if I can blow more oil out that way.