SQ5 Engine ticking SQ5

Beemad

Reaction score
Got A 2017 B9 SQ5 and it has developed a ticking noise from the front end off side of the engine around the alternator area, has anyone experienced this issue and if so did you get to the bottom of it.. any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Is this the facelift/petrol engine?
If so, mine does too- had it ever since I got it last year at 35k (2018) but dealership twice has said this is normal and compared it to another SQ5 on the forecourt. I think I asked on a few forums for a favour to get a recording of their engine bay but no one helped out so I've put it to bed now until I saw this.

Strange - 2 days and 2 issues I've asked about on the forum/s have reappeared with different owners

Curious you say its developed indicating it was not there before?

I have a 2017 face-lift as well and was curious so just started the car and had a look around. I wouldn't say I have a ticking as such but it does sound like a loud engine especially with the bonnet up!

I can add a video if it would help? If you have a video that would be great as well.

Last edited:
Its probably the high pressure injectors, they can be loud

Reactions: Cooky0630
Is this the facelift/petrol engine?
If so, mine does too- had it ever since I got it last year at 35k (2018) but dealership twice has said this is normal and compared it to another SQ5 on the forecourt. I think I asked on a few forums for a favour to get a recording of their engine bay but no one helped out so I've put it to bed now until I saw this.

Strange - 2 days and 2 issues I've asked about on the forum/s have reappeared with different owners

Curious you say its developed indicating it was not there before?
Hi, yes its the 3.0ltr petrol, i removed the engine bay cover last night and the ticking changed position so now im completely baffled, spoke with an Audi mechanic and he recommended bioking it in, £60 for investigation and possibly diagnosis....

Injectors is exactly what the dealership said in my case
Beemad - might be worth grabbing a video and uploading it for us to watch/compare maybe? If injectors are indeed the noise you're hearing then we'll save you the £60

Reactions: Cooky0630
Hi all, sorry for the delay, i bit the bullet and took into a dealer for rhem to have a look, and what do you know... they said its fine, so i asked why it does it...response was "because it does" lot of help that was for 60 quid!!
Intresting thing is as i have now noticed that when you put in sport mode.... jesus.... it sounds even worse... driving past stationary traffic or a wall the reverb is horrendous... im still not convinced, has anyone had any luck getting to bottom of this?