Engine ticking noise

Rw91

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to the forum so sorry if this has been posted before.

Not a S3 owner just yet !

Im viewing a 2010 S3 sportback s-tronic on Saturday, it has full Audi service history and has only covered 33k. The seller has sent me a video of the the car started with the bonnet up and it sounds as if it is ticking rather loud but with the bonnet down i cant hear it. Is this just the way these engines are or should I avoid this ?

Cheers

Robert

Mine sounds ticky... but mines normal
Just how these engines are ??

Reactions: Rw91
Thanks for the reply mate. Glad to hear that as its put my mind at rest !

Reactions: Hookmonster
Some fuel injectors naturally make quite a loud ticking noise - some manufacturers have a special sound-insulated bit of engine trim which covers them, for this reason.

Reactions: PantherS3
My S3 recently went in for a service at Awesome and they said it's the injectors and that its normal for them to be loud.

Cheers for the reply lads, much appreciated

I have an S3 and also has a ticking sound. I initially thought it was something but I came to learn that these engines are "ticky" by nature. Which side of the engine bay was it coming from? Another thing would be to give it a bit of a high rev and the noise usually dies out.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

It wasnt coming from a certain side, its an overall ticking noise, I had a look on youtube and there is a couple which sound the same so it must just be the way these type of engine are !

I took mine to Storm as I was concerned that my S3 was still loud, despite having the Cam Chain & Tensioner replaced as a precaution (worth doing on engines 60K+). They had a listen and said that it sounded like a healthy TFSI, the noise is just due to the high pressure injectors.

This is the only thing I dislike on what is a great all round car.

I think its the way the TFSI engine is designed it makes that annoying noise like its broken. MK5 GTI's make the same noise

Think this is pretty normal for a tfsi, the ticking is coming from the high pressure injectors. It could also be the case that the cam chain tensioner is making that noise but you would definitely hear that on the passenger side of the engine and its a more metallic knocking.

As far as I know it is.

I saw a video on youtube months ago on the the MK5 and the dude says they all do it. I think the video was '5 things I hate about my car' he explained why the engine does it and not to worry. Its just very annoying

It reminds me of my old corsa sri i had when i was younger, it had a rattly chain and drive me nuts ! I shall post pics on saterday when i pick the car up.