Engine temp..

T3nnant

Reaction score
Ive only had my rs3 for around a month or so now, so im still getting used to everything about it.
Can anyone confirm the temp for me.. As mine seems to frighten me.

i have a 1 and half mile journey to work, within leaving the street and getting half way there, the car reaches 90degrees on the dash... but stays there throughout the journey, whether it be 20 mile or 400 miles.
Also when car has been running for 5 mins or so, if i open the bonnet its unreal how hot it feels! i had a 335i before this and even it didnt feel this hot.

Im Hoping all 8P's are the same?

I havnt got an rs3 but my 3.0v6 q5 also does the same I think it reaches the optimum temp and stays there If it went up a lot more or stayed on cold I would more likely be concerned with that.you could always make sure oil and water coolant levels are OK but I'm guessing you have done that :wink:

Rich .

Last edited:
Reactions: T3nnant
I havnt got an rs3 but my 3.0v6 q5 also does the same I think it reaches the optimum temp and stays there If it went up a lot more or stayed on cold I would more likely be concerned with that.you could always make sure oil and water coolant levels are OK but I'm guessing you have done that :wink:

Rich .
yeah ive double checked everything mate, just guess its getting used to a new car. Just scares me the fact its not a cheap engine to replace haha.
if i wear shorts and get out... feels like i get third degree burns on me legs to lol

I know it is worrying and I'm Sure a veteran will put your mind at rest. I've heard Good things about the engine so unless it's been completely abused I wouldn't worry lol. I'm gonna be after one soon. Once the funds allow :racer:.

Have fun while the sun shines....oh hang on it doesn't matter if it's wet either lol

I think 90 is the standard running temperature for most Audi/VW products. My current TT and the A3 I had back in 2008 both exhibit the same behaviour, albeit both have/had the 2.0L four-pot.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Ive only had my rs3 for around a month or so now, so im still getting used to everything about it. Can anyone confirm the temp for me.. As mine seems to frighten me. I'm Hoping all 8P's are the same?

As said by RCD6FC, :hi: so no worries

90ºC is the optimum running temperature for most automotive engines these days, all to do with emissions, etc. My own 8P RS3 gets quickly to and runs all day long irrespective of ambient temperature at 90ºC, as do my TT and A1.

As said by RCD6FC, :hi: so no worries

90ºC is the optimum running temperature for most automotive engines these days, all to do with emissions, etc. My own 8P RS3 gets quickly to and runs all day long irrespective of ambient temperature at 90ºC, as do my TT and A1.
It is well known that all recent VAG vehicles with temp gauges run at 90 degrees C. In fact the gauge is 'doctored' [VAG are quite good at this remember] so that it will show 90 degrees even if there are small variations from this level, about 2 - 3 degrees or so, I can understand this as customers would constantly be complaining that their RS3 was 'only' running at 87 degrees , or was 'overheating' at 93 degrees. Incidentally, quite a few cars no longer have water temp gauges, my Z4M Coupe has an oil temp gauge, but only a light to say if the water is too hot, no gauge.

Spot on, cheers guys!

Love her.. wouldnt want anything bad to be wrong!

Spot on, cheers guys! Love her.. wouldnt want anything bad to be wrong!

A superb all year round, all weather, motor car is the 8P RS3; as most here know I wouldn't swap mine for anything else... :superman: