Engine temp issue

ALFAAA

Reaction score
Hi guys.
problem with an Audi A4 2002 1.6 petrol

My engine temperature wont go past 50 so i thought it would be the engine coolant sensor (G62) which i changed today but it didn't fix the problem , i also noticed that the temperature actually does go up to 90 when idling , but as i start driving it slowly goes back down to 50.

Also heaters blow hot air when idling and the temp goes up , otherwise just warm when temp is down.

Would anyone know what the issue would be ?
seems like a very odd one since , it goes up when idle goes down when driving.

All help appreciated.

Thanks.

As mentioned and when was it last changed if ever.

I had this happen to me but the part had been changed a few months previous......... and when I took my stat out i noticed that one of the locating prongs had broken off and got trapped as the stat was closing and then it never allowed the car to keep a high temperature.

Bolied it on the hob to open it up and release the part and it has been perfect ever since.

Thermostat or water pump, don't bother with eBay rubbish, if the thermostat is the same as my 1.8T then it's not a 5 minute job, and you certainly don't want to be doing it twice.

The water pumps run a plastic impeller which either breaks up or spins on the shaft, always replace water pump with cam belt.