Engine swap Q - APY - APX swap

ci-ryder

Reaction score
Hopefully this is a simpe Q, I bought my first S3 about 2 months ago but after driving it for just 3 weeks I managed to blow 3 coilpacks, destroy 8 valves and crack the cylinder head during a brief moment of accelaration getting on to the motorway (not sure all this happened in one incident).

The car has been sat around looking very sorry for itself since, after the engine shop gave me the news about my head I am after another engine and have sourced a bare (head & block) low mileage APX unit.

The engine in my car is an APY, my Q is simply would I have any issues running the APX unit using my APY ecu (car was running a R-Tech stage 1 map). I just want the garage to drop in the APX unit + new clutch & flywheel and bolt everything back up.

Cheers

APX is a 210 TT lump isn't it? should all be fine as that has the 20mm wrist pins etc...

20v engines are pretty interchangeable tbh mate... biggest issue is the gudgeon/wrist pin size... 19mm on lesser power engines typically and 20mm (stronger + stronger rods) on the 210/225's (AGU A3's being an exception I believe)...

APX should also have the SAI being the earlier code... pretty sure the APX is the TT equiv of the S3's APY then the higher power TT's leap frogged AMK's and went to BAM

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated I was worried that I was going to have to get involved in getting things decoded I just want the APX head and block dropped in and all my old ancil's bolted up and just to have my car back and then maybe I can finally get on with the mods I had already bought for it before it went pop.

Cheers

Thanks for the link, I am looking forward to getting it on the road now!! - I just hope I have no more problems I have now spent more on parts than the car cost.

Thanks for the link, I am looking forward to getting it on the road now!! - I just hope I have no more problems I have now spent more on parts than the car cost.

Welcome to S3 ownership lol ;P

<tuffty/>

Yep I don't think I was really prepared for so many bills!! Though once the engine is done it will also have had the below replaced during my short ownership:-

Low mileage turbo (car had done 130k I bought a K04 from a 12k crashed TT)
Injectors, manifold, fuel pump & fpr from that TT
New MAF
Replacement Clutch & Flywheel
De-cat pipe
Fmic
Forge 007p
Forge actuator
Compbrake shortshift
new top mounts + weitec coilovers
LCR front brakes - new drilled &grooved discs + ebc redstuff pads at the rear too + braided lines
Silcone TIP
BMC Cai
SFS 10pc coolant hose kit
Keskin kt4 18" alloys
Compbrake Adjustable tie bars

I only bought this as I thought I wouldn't mod it/spend loads on it, I was very, very, very wrong...............

Last edited:
Hopefully this is a simpe Q, I bought my first S3 about 2 months ago but after driving it for just 3 weeks I managed to blow 3 coilpacks, destroy 8 valves and crack the cylinder head during a brief moment of accelaration getting on to the motorway (not sure all this happened in one incident).

The car has been sat around looking very sorry for itself since, after the engine shop gave me the news about my head I am after another engine and have sourced a bare (head & block) low mileage APX unit.

The engine in my car is an APY, my Q is simply would I have any issues running the APX unit using my APY ecu (car was running a R-Tech stage 1 map). I just want the garage to drop in the APX unit + new clutch & flywheel and bolt everything back up.

Cheers
Hey mate I know I'm 12 years too late, but was this a success for them to do or did they run into any issues? Looking to do this myself as I've managed to melt away the stock internals with a untrustworthy map - seeing maybe with the little knowledge I have to the swap myself.

Cheers in advance

APY and APX are both narrowband junk motors.. but identical... how sure are you the APX is also not Fubar or worse than yours

When I say identical, no VVT and SAI instead.

(where's the post edit button gone?)

APY and APX are both narrowband junk motors.. but identical... how sure are you the APX is also not Fubar or worse than yours
Around 30% that it's not fubar or worse but relying on ebay support for refunds on that - I just wanted to make any related checks since I just purchased the block+head with no ancillaries and everything else will just be bolt on with any necessary stuff to be replaced while I'm at it