Engine Speed Sensor Fault code 16706

Felon

Slightly odd.
Reaction score
Guys - had problems starting my S3 today after a long trip. The problem is well documented elsewhere on this and other forums in ASNet but the guy from VAG Assist said that it was a pig to fix. I'm no DIYer unfortunately, so what can I expect from the dealer cost wise... anyone any idea???
Ta
(PS not watching football tonight)

Mine also needs doing, the part was about £70 for a genuine one, you can get ones off ebay but theres always the risk of it not working/fitting etc...

I had a go at taking mine off, bit of a ****** to get to, jack front of the car up, remove the undertray and you have to look for it, its on the front of the block, quite high up and held in with one allen bolt (5mm head i think)
Once you see what your looking for its pretty obvious, theres a big grey connector you have to undo with one hand that took me ages!
I just about got the bolt out, but the sensor wouldnt budge, then i ran out of daylight and gave up!
Theres is a rubber 'O' ring that seals the sensor into the block and i just couldnt get enough force on the sensor to pull it out. Will try again when i can get it on the ramp.

Ive been told its really easy to do but ive found room is tight.

If you take it to a dealer you'll have to pay for them to diagnose the fault too even if you know what it is.
Buy the sensor, take it to an independent garage and just ask them to fit it, should be half an hours labour topps

Thanks for the info. I don't fancy doing it myself so will go down the route of buying the part and getting an independent to do it as I suspect my dealer will charge an arm and a leg...