Engine Runnning In & Launch Control

grimey121uk

Reaction score
So me and the wife have had the RS3 for 10 days now and covered 900+ miles noting that the official break in period is 1500km (920miles). I don't want to turn this into another thread on running an engine in but I have made the following observation;

We had to drive up to Glasgow to collect our S3 with the plan of spending a long weekend driving around the highlands. Unfortunately our collection weekend was ruined by the horrendous storms so we ended up driving it back home down the water logged M6/74 for 200 miles at very boring sensible speeds. After the first 1000 miles the engine used around 1/4 litre of oil despite us attempting to run it in properly after the long journey back.

With the RS3 we spent 2 days covering 400 miles of A-roads with the gearbox left in sport mode to allow the engine to rev and also keep the rpm up under engine braking. After the first couple of hundred miles we gave it a gentle thrashing at which point around after 500 miles I considered it to be fully run in. Interestingly the engine hasn't used a drop of oil!

Regardless of the above we decided to hold of using launch control until we were at the official running in mileage (ish). So the wife was driving yesterday and we had some nob in a Merc (more than likely an oil burner) driving right up our **** so when we got to the lights the Mrs decided to show him who was boss. It's insane, I have never managed to get anything off the line so quick! We then decided to go to find a quite spot and do a few more, I filmed her second launch and 0-62 arrived in 4.0 seconds (timed whilst editing the video) with me as a passenger and 3/4 tank of fuel.

No real point to this thread other than WOW!

Her second launch below;

Last edited:
Reactions: Bristle Hound, RYes3, Spaceman_RS3 and 6 others
Ha ha glad your enjoying the car. The launch control is immense! :)

Reactions: grimey121uk
Keep the videos coming. Enjoying them!

Nice story, great video, cool wife for launching at the lights :)

I pick mine up on Thursday. The dealer told me that no running in is required. He just mentioned about making sure the brakes are 'well' used during the first 100 miles or so