Facelift Engine run in?

Masslob

Reaction score
So finally got my blue ballistic missile and happy as can be. :)

Now my question...a friend has a new m2 and has to run the engine for a 1000 odd miles and then get the oil changed to unlock the engine.

Now do we have to do something similar in the rs3. Eg run in the engine for a 1000 miles before it begins to open up?

Reactions: illingworth22
Give it hell! once everything has warmed up of course

Reactions: jaysrs4
I gave it 300 it’s miles it varied revs all below say 4,000... then give it some after that, whether it makes that much difference your guess is as good as mine haha

Reactions: FBF01
So the engine is more dependent on temperature than the amount of miles it's done?

Engine is all about temperature. As long as the oil is 80-85 degs thats go,go time!

Reactions: Terminator x
Just out of interest, what damage can be done if you don't let the engine warm up before flooring it?

Just out of interest, what damage can be done if you don't let the engine warm up before flooring it?
Others better placed to answer, but oil when warm stops friction, so I'd imagine it wouldn't be good for an engine to be thrashed when cold. On the odd occasion when you have to put your foot down when an engines cold (from roundabouts or to avoid accidents etc!) the car never feels too happy or smooth.

I ran mine in for the first 1000 miles and changed oil at about 5000 miles. In the manual pretty sure it says 1500 kilometres. Thrashing a new engine from new is daft imo. I always let my engine hit at least 90c before any hard acceleration too

Reactions: jungle650

It won’t let you anyway, there’s an RPM limiter built in to mitigate such abuse.

If allowed, such regular behaviour would finally do main bearings, big ends, small ends, resulting in piston slap, knocking and bore scoring and blow by. If turbo charged, usually turbo bearings, seals then bearing failure.

Generally the answer to your question is, you’d destroy your engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: E15