Engine revving itself. S3 8p.. any ideas?

billyboy90 s3

Reaction score
Hi im having a problem with my car. Pulled up at lights today and the engine started revving itself. Cant get a garage to look at it there all closed until tomorrow. Any ideas on what i can do to try and sort it myself or just in general what could be the problem. Any help wil be really appreciated

I dont know much about cars mate will i need to get it on the computer to check that? Thanks for the help

Whilst i was in my mates garage having tyres fitted. Another s3 turned up with the same problem. Ill see if he came back to find the problem

No lad never came back sorry

check if the MAF and MAP are connected correctly.
is your fuel consumption higher?

I've got this problem ATM with my s3 its booked in at awesome gti on Friday as they found a fault code. From my research I think it could be pcv but don't have clue tbh

Also I think with mine it's not holding boost the odd occasion too and abit down on mpg

I had exactly the same problem, it was the pcv valve in the end a nice easy fix hope that helps.

I as well as many other S3's on here have had the same problem, it'll most likely be the PCV. Part number for the updated version is 06F 129 101 R.

Thank you for the suggestions lads amazing help on here . Need to come on here more often for tips etc. Think it's the pvc its booked in for thursday morning. Does anyone know off anyone that does remaps in scotland?

Let me know how you get on mate as mine is going in the day after. Good luck with it

Thank you for the suggestions lads amazing help on here . Need to come on here more often for tips etc. Think it's the pvc its booked in for thursday morning. Does anyone know off anyone that does remaps in scotland?

No worries mate, it's a great bunch on here to be fair.

If you want the best for your S3 then custom mapping is the way to go of which the most highly thought of tuners on here for the S3 8P are Unicorn, R-Tech, Storm Developments and AMD Tuning. The nearest to you out of those is Unicorn which is in Stockport however depending on where you are in Scotland, then that could be a bit of a drive. Saying that, I believe Unicorn have still got a dealer in Berwick upon Tweed, Northumberland which will be closer, speak to @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. to find out more.

Last edited:
So car went in today for timing belt and water pump and to sort this revving problem. Mechanic thought it was a vacuum leak but couldn't find 1 and took the car out for a test drive and said there wasn't a problem. I priced pcv to be replaced at £100 so that'll be my next job. He said he had the same problem on a different car when running 99 fuel ? Mignt go back to 97 and see if that does anything

The revised PCV is between £30-£40 depending on where you go and fitment is only a 10 minute jobby if that. I'm not mechanically minded but even I managed to fit the Forge PCV Delete Plate myself, so if I can do it then anyone can.

I have seen on a BMW forum that 99ron was the source of a problem for a couple of people but haven't seen anyone S3's on here with an issue using 99ron. When my S3 was stock I used Shell V-Power Nitro+ for well over half a year with no problems, my car has now been remapped with 99ron in mind and again no issues. Is your S3 stock?

Yeah the car is toatally standard as far as I'm aware it does feel stock tbh. I'm going to empty my tank and fill it back up with standard fuel and see how I get on with that. If it's still the same I'll just chance the pcv and gasket

Did you manage to find the problem as I've now changed the pcv valve and it's still doing it