Engine Remap

beaker

Reaction score
Spoke to Nigel from Angel Tuning on MSN earlier in the week. He said they can now do a remap for the A3 2.0TDI in manual or DSG form.

Reckoned prices would be about £350.

I'm thinking of going for it but I'm still not sure what will happen with mine being a DSG. He said they could do a custom remap though but wouldn't give any /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif or guarantees about resulting performance.

14 day trial though to check it out.

http://www.angeltuning.co.uk/

I saw these guys to, appears to be a residential address in a village just outside Leamington Spa.

Instinct says 'avoid'.

Take this gem from the FAQ:

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have a torque and BHP graph for my engine?
Quite simply, no. They are meaningless to the majority and we rarely have a before one to match it against. The real experience is in the driveability of the car. If you are unhappy with the car when you test drive it then we will return the tune to standard and refund you any tuning charges. If you really want a before and after torque / BHP graph we can arrange this with a local company at cost for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

So that really says is "we have no experience of doing lots of different vehicles and calibrating the results - how about we practice on your vehicle and see how it goes eh?"

Errr No.

Don't be so quick to judge, I run my Revo dealership from my home address. So do the likes of Badger Bill on uk-mkiv.net. It doesn't mean we don't know what we're doing.

However the observation about the remapping with a DSG gearbox is new to most of the tuners. I'm trying a development box on my own A3 DSG this week to check out the suitabilty.

I'll let you know.

The guy seemed pretty sound but you never can tell for sure. I think the software option sound a lot less destructive than getting it chipped as it can be reversed if things don't come out as hoped.

I'm not keen on being someone's DSG guinea pig though. Still got my own concerns about remapping on this box. Not just the fear of breaking it, but also the mystery surrounding exactly what could be achieved on this system. The supposed torque limitations on the DSG could mean minimal performance increases. Hopefully this will all be proved wrong once we start seeing remapped versions.

Mike P, let me know how you get on and what performance levels you are seeing.

Eeef, no the latest date I've got from Revo is November.

I'm testing a Steinbauer box over the next week or so to see if I'm going to add it to my tuning offerings. They add a huge range of vehicles that Revo don't cover so it's a business expansion for me.

If their PBOX is any good on the 2.0Tdi I'll consider offering them to people who don't want to wait, The PBOX is available as a switchable system so that's why I'm looking at it.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't be so quick to judge, I run my Revo dealership from my home address. So do the likes of Badger Bill on uk-mkiv.net. It doesn't mean we don't know what we're doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologies MikeP, I was a bit harsh.

Superchips have been able to do the DSG for ages now have they not?

Cosmic, no offence taken....

Mark, there are lots of tuners who have maps or boxes for the 2.0Tdi engines and some have them for the 2.0TFsi, but there seems to be little knowledge about specific tuning for DSG equippped engines.

Revo believe that there should be no difference, I'm probably going over there in a week or so and we'll try the latest map on my car and then tweak it if necessary. But we still have to wait for the new programming hardware to be released before we can remap customer cars.

I went to fit the Steinbauer box today but the cable provided was not very willing to fit the socket, they're sending me a new cable out for Monday so I should be a ble to give you guys an update mid-week.

OK tuning box, update........

I fitted the Steinbauer box on Saturday morning after the replacement cable arrived earlier than expected. First impressions are good, very smooth low down, helps the box work well in Drive rather than Sport, which I used more in std tune.

The crucial element is not to be too soft on the throttle as the geabox will continually shift early. But I'm learning more about the DSG characteristics which helps get more out of the car. I'm taking the car up to Clive Atthows tomorrow to put it on the RR, I'll post the figures.

I'm taking the car up to Revo next week to get one of the development maps installed. The ecu codes for the manual and DSG cars are different, so they'll be doing some testing on my car to feed back into the production code. I'll keep you updated. But expect the 2.0Tdi to have higher torque than the PD150.

I'm going down to REVO at Daventry in the next week or so to get a code in my 2.0TFSI DSG.

My brother introduced me to Mitch, the boss there I think, and he has kindly promised me a freeby so they can get more feedback on their DSG code! Sounds like a good deal!!

Watch this space!

[ QUOTE ]
OK been out to Clive Atthowe's to put the car on the dyno and see what this Steinbauer can do, not bad at all!

175bhp and 293lbft a very healthly output.

I've put the graph here:

www.pragmatik-ict.co.uk/dyno.cms

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap. I've lived in norfolk for 23 years, owned VAG cars for 8 years, and never hear of this tuning place in norwich.

Excellent, thanks for pointing me in this direction... the closest rolling road i thought was scole engineering, but i didn't think it was capable of 4wd cars.

now i know a lot of people here are from norfolk... perhaps a RR session is in order.... how much does a RR session cost?