1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

engine reliability / performance - 1.8t / FSI

TeKnodriver Mar 7, 2020

1. TeKnodriver

TeKnodriver Biodiesel Purrrr

Hi all, time has come to replace my TDi…
    euro 4 petrol becoming necessary and likely options are 1.8t or FSI -
    looking to get a 2000 - 2007 for under £2k

so i'm unlikely to get 50mpg from either engine, ok I have come to accept this; but

which is more reliable and durable for high mileage?
    will the FSI really give 20% improved mpg in real-world driving?
    (I expect the FSI needs a heavy foot to get moving, but I'm unlikely to be flooring the 1.8t)
    any engine codes or years to avoid?

advice/pointers appreciated!..
    :)

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. quattrogone

quattrogone Quattro Back!

Apparently the 1.8t BEX engine is the one to go for regards reliability e.t.c. but even though it's 190bhp I would describe it as lazy until you get higher up in the rev's. Also fuel consumption leaves one thinking that a newer S4 might have been just as good a choice lol
    Undecided at the moment whether to move mine on or try some stage 1 exercise and see how it is then....mind you if the mpg fell even further through the floor I'd probably set fire to it!!

Ricky Burrows likes this.
  4. QuattroCalum

QuattroCalum Well-Known Member Saloon saloon Audi A4 Black Edition Manual

40 mpg easily achievable on the 1.8t. I've run a 1.8t for over 14 years (3 different cars) even the quattro would get 40mpg on a good run. On Friday I drove to Edinburgh and back 95 miles each way and had 39 mpg average, considering the low temperatures at this time of year I'd say was good going.
    The FSI is known for burning oil and misfires due to inlet valves covered in carbon, a well known problem due to the direct injection.

5. quattrogone

Callum, when you say that 40mpg is achievable has that been on a re mapped car?

6. Pie-eyedpiper

Pie-eyedpiper Active Member Team Brill Red Team Thule TDi Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

I had an an Octavia FSI a few years back, and whilst it didn't set the world on fire performance wise, fuel consumption was around the 40mpg mark

7. QuattroCalum

On both, BEX remapped, BFB quattro wasn't.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

8. quattrogone

Ummm :smirk: mine is a BEX quattro so maybe I should consider....

9. QuattroCalum

Not many of them about, I always thought it was stupid having the higher power engine with fwd, I miss my quattro

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk