Engine rebuild required on a B8 @68k

A4B8Sline

Reaction score
As per title really. I own a 2009 A4 2.0t. I've had it just over a year and it's been faultless apart from Being heavy on oil. I'm sure most of you have read dozens of threads on oil consumption on the 2.0t. Well mine has been no different. I'm going through a litre of oil every 800-1000 miles. I sent it to audi for a oil consumption test which finished this week. No surprise to say it failed. I'm now faced with a repair which includes conrods, pistons and rings. Car has just covered 68k. The bill is going to be quite steep in the region of 3k+. Have any of you 2.0t owners had a piston change with positive results? I'm worried ill pay for a expensive repair and still have an issue. Although the car is out of warranty my local dealership is quite confident audi will pay for some of the repair. Currently waiting to hear. Shame really because the car is great.

Reactions: AudiAvant
id be tempted to have a front end shunt

Reactions: John_Tuohy, jphc and BigGreg
i wouldnt let audi do it
why should it need rods ?
also with there part payment you could prob get it done for less that they will charge you

i wouldnt let audi do it
why should it need rods ?
also with there part payment you could prob get it done for less that they will charge you

I'm surprised they said it needs rods. Pistons and rings fair enough when it's oil issues. I haven't committed to the repair yet. Obviously I'm waiting to hear from audi and secondly I'm not sure i want a rebuilt motor. I'm interested to see if any owners have had this work done? So much for full audi history.

Mines the same. Drinks the oil. Had the first repairs done by Audi (crankshaft seals etc) but I'm sure its the sensor that is faulty. I don't trust the MMI Oil Level.

Mines the same. Drinks the oil. Had the first repairs done by Audi (crankshaft seals etc) but I'm sure its the sensor that is faulty. I don't trust the MMI Oil Level.

I do agree the mmi is somewhat misleading. I only put oil in when the warning light comes on. According to the mmi i can go 100 miles on no oil (low oil) on the graph before i get the light. Can't beat a good old fashioned dipstick. So yours is still using oil even after the work? I appreciate most 2.0ts don't go past 5-6k without needing a top up but my rate is horrendous. Have to keep a litre in the boot.

I always have a litre in the boot! Audi said that if the first repairs don't sort it, there is another test to do.
I had quarter of oil in the car, drove 200 miles and light came on saying it was empty so I put in nearly 1.5 litres and it said there was too much oil!!!! The car takes 4 litres so how it can go from empty to over full with just 1.5 litres is beyond me!
I've seen the guage go from quarter, then to half full then back to quarter again in 20 miles! Dont trust it at all!

Last edited:
I always have a litre in the boot! Audi said that if the first repairs don't sort it, there is another test to do.
I had quarter of oil in the car, drove 200 miles and light came on saying it was empty so I out in nearly 1.5 litres and it said there was too much oil!!!! The car takes 4 litres so how it can go from empty to over full with just 1.5 litres is beyond me!
I've seen the guage go from quarter, then to half full then back to quarter again in 20 miles! Dont trust it at all!

Ive noticed when it is on a half and you top it up a tiny bit not even a quarter of a litre the MMI displays its full again ?
And it is supposed to take 4L of oil, How does that work out ?
These 2.0 t's never stop using oil, mine uses as much as it does petrol ! It uses even more because its been remapped !

Why dont you do the dip stick mod
then you can see how much you have in there.

I'm going to ask for a detailed break down of the fault and find out why each part is required. Car is smoking heavy though under load so oil is def getting past something.

Ive noticed when it is on a half and you top it up a tiny bit not even a quarter of a litre the MMI displays its full again ?
And it is supposed to take 4L of oil, How does that work out ?
These 2.0 t's never stop using oil, mine uses as much as it does petrol ! It uses even more because its been remapped !

As far as I'm aware the mmi graph only represents 1litre of oil like a dip stick would. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I think you're right, the min and max on the MMI are just like the range on the dipstick to indicate where the oil level should be, hence it says to add 1l when it's low.

i know that oil consumption is a common issue, but what is the end result if it goes unrectified? I bought a 2009 2.0T last month which has done 115k. It's been using a litre roughly every 400-500 miles.... Way outside of what Audi would call normal but other than the using oil, it seems fine in every other aspect. Presumably the oil use may continue to increase, but to what end??

I had a problem with my 60 plate 2.0tfsi from new! It gradually got worse to the point around a year ago it was down to a litre every 1200-1300- not as bad as you guys but it only had 20k on the clock.
Audi eventually took it away and for a couple of days and consulted Audi uk who suggested changing the oil breather pipes/ hoses on the top of the engine. It definitely helped and now I'm around 3.5k to 4k per litre

I can't imagine it being that a expensive job

No news from audi yet....

I had a problem with my 60 plate 2.0tfsi from new! It gradually got worse to the point around a year ago it was down to a litre every 1200-1300- not as bad as you guys but it only had 20k on the clock.
Audi eventually took it away and for a couple of days and consulted Audi uk who suggested changing the oil breather pipes/ hoses on the top of the engine. It definitely helped and now I'm around 3.5k to 4k per litre

I can't imagine it being that a expensive job

See mine was going 2-3k between top offs but last few months its just taken a rapid decline down to the rates I mentioned above. Hopefully a fix like yours will sort it but going on last weeks talks with the dealership it's sounding like a rebuild. Car still drives great. Will keep you updated on their response.

Hmm. Audi quote 1litre per 1000 miles is acceptable. I had that from audi head office uk and also 2 separate audi garages,. Engine cox seems rather extreme tbh

This is very obviously a common problem with the alot of the 2.0 tfsi engine's which is down to the way Audi has constructed these engines so shouldn't they be coughing up for them to be repaired? I don't think it's right that the owners should be paying thousands of pounds for a repair on a car that is supposed to be built to the highest of standards. IMO these cars should be recalled and repaired by Audi. Mine uses a litre of oil around every 600-700 miles but I don't have the cash to cough up for such an expensive repair so it's not gonna happen in my case if they don't pay for it!

So what is the end result if they're not repaired? I'm using 2l of oil a month which is something I can live with at £8 a litre, but what happens if they're left unrepaired?

Oil consumption issues are a big problem for Audi in the States. Audi replaced my pistons & rings with 5000 miles left onthe Warrantee. Audizine.com has a major thread on the issue. Go at Aude, you have nothing to loose.

I have a very low mileage 2.0t for sale if needed... I bought the complete for the gearbox.

Given audi the green light to repair. It's going to cost me £1600. Audi are contributing to the works. Total is £3800. Not an ideal situation to be in but as the car is out of warranty it's not a bad offer from audi. Car will also get new drive belts and water pump. If done correctly it should be almost as good as new. Work done is also covered by a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. Hopefully it's the right decision.

Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie to the forum here. I'm very interested to hear you guys opinions and experiences(especially you A4B8Sline) in relation to the oil drinking - 2.0T FSi engine.

3 weeks ago I bought a '58 plate, 2.0T FSi A4 Avant (B8) Quattro S Line. It has clearly been looked after by its former owner as its in very good condition. Before buying it I contacted 2 different Audi dealerships to confirm the full Audi service history was genuine etc. to be told it should be a safe car as in its 56,000 miles in just over 4 years it had been serviced 4 times by Audi, with the most recent one, having been only a few thousand miles previous.

So all appeared great at first. However, now, in my opinion, I would appear to be going through about 1 litre of oil, in just 400 miles.

I took it to Audi, who on initial examination agreed it seemed excessive. So they did the oil breather valve, the crankshaft oil seal and carried out a software update. So I am now mid oil consumption test on their terms. I am supposed to drive for the usual minimum 1000km/621 miles since their last top up to get an accurate gauge on how much oil is getting used. I'm not convinced the work they have done will improve things enough, to allow me to manage 621 miles before the car is screaming out for more oil.

Anyway, I will update you on how my car gets on. I do love it, but this really has taken the edge of the usual excitement of getting a new car, especially as it is my first Audi. I traded in my MkV 3.2 litre Golf R32 for it, which 'never' needed oil top-ups between the annual service, let alone a litre every 2 weeks.

Once again, Hi Folks, and thanks for your advice/info from this forum.

Andy

I'll be interested to hear how you get on Andy. I've done 2500 miles in mine since I bought it 8-9 weeks ago and have used around 4.5 litres so near enough 1 litre per 500 miles.

Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie to the forum here. I'm very interested to hear you guys opinions and experiences(especially you A4B8Sline) in relation to the oil drinking - 2.0T FSi engine.

3 weeks ago I bought a '58 plate, 2.0T FSi A4 Avant (B8) Quattro S Line. It has clearly been looked after by its former owner as its in very good condition. Before buying it I contacted 2 different Audi dealerships to confirm the full Audi service history was genuine etc. to be told it should be a safe car as in its 56,000 miles in just over 4 years it had been serviced 4 times by Audi, with the most recent one, having been only a few thousand miles previous.

So all appeared great at first. However, now, in my opinion, I would appear to be going through about 1 litre of oil, in just 400 miles.

I took it to Audi, who on initial examination agreed it seemed excessive. So they did the oil breather valve, the crankshaft oil seal and carried out a software update. So I am now mid oil consumption test on their terms. I am supposed to drive for the usual minimum 1000km/621 miles since their last top up to get an accurate gauge on how much oil is getting used. I'm not convinced the work they have done will improve things enough, to allow me to manage 621 miles before the car is screaming out for more oil.

Anyway, I will update you on how my car gets on. I do love it, but this really has taken the edge of the usual excitement of getting a new car, especially as it is my first Audi. I traded in my MkV 3.2 litre Golf R32 for it, which 'never' needed oil top-ups between the annual service, let alone a litre every 2 weeks.

Once again, Hi Folks, and thanks for your advice/info from this forum.

Andy

Hi Andy welcome to the forum.

Did you have to pay for the first part of the test or did Audi cover it?

would be interesting to know whether a differant viscosity oil would make a differance

Rudders - absolutely, its interesting to hear the different storys and results of others. Its just a bummer that any of us are in this situation.

Mcdubber - to be honest, so far, Audi have been very good. I did explain to them (the truth) how it was my first Audi, and that I had spent more money on this car than I usually would on a car, as I thought I was buying a quality product.
I also explained how I had selected my car carefully, i.e. its condition and the fact it had a very comprehensive 'FULL' Audi service history,(which I personally confirmed with 2 different Audi dealerships before I bought the car).
So, to sum up, so far, Audi have picked up the 'bill' for all the work carried out so far. They are saying it is as a gesture of 'goodwill', due to the history of the car and due to me being a new customer etc. So, so far so good.

johnnythepie - I have read on other forums etc that they have used thicker oils and had no further issues etc., so who knows.

Current update - I have not actually managed to do many miles yet. But within the first one hundred miles, I actually thought the work they had done, had made it worse. However, it now seems to have settled down. Perhaps the software update that they carry out takes a few miles to kick in, OR, I just have not done enough miles to tell yet. I've only done 150, so still plenty of distance to cover.

I'll keep you updated. And it would be great if others could do the same re their actual oil consumption, and their experiences with Audi.

I'm defo curious to hear an update from A4B8SLine, about his car and progress with Audi.

Cheers
Andy

Last edited:
I had the first oil consumption test done and I contacted Audi Customer services and they paid the cost. Booked in now for the second test as its used 2 and a quarter litres of oil in 1004 miles!!! Audi say the tolerance is 1litre per 600miles.
I think it sucks especially when Audi admitted to me they know there is a problem with the TFSI engine and Audi have paid for all TFSI oil repairs in the US.

Last edited:
No update unfortunately yet on mine folks. It's going into audi next Saturday. They will have it for a week. It has however just gone through another litre in 600 miles. I have everything crossed the fix will sort out the problem.

ScottishS3 - Sounds like yours is pretty thirsty like mine. I was told that you 'can' expect to see 'up to' 'half a litre' of oil used up per 1000km(621 miles).

A4B8Sline - I'm sure it will be very different once the work is done, any that I have read about, have seen a massive difference once it has been done.

Update on mine - I had previously said that I thought it may have been settling down after Audi had done a few things. But I was sadly mistaken. I have not even covered 300 miles and I would appear to have used up over 3/4 of a litre of oil. So not great.

I will join the drinking oil club also.
Low oil warning came on 2 days after picking ours up from the garage we purchased it, spoke to them and they asked me to top it up.
Did so and two tanks of fuel later and lights on again.
Will speak to Audi in the week and see what they say, although I did speak with the dealer car was purchased and serviced by and they had no reported issues........ Hmmmmm.
May try and contact the previous owner and see if they were aware of the issue. Although it's probably why they got shot of it.

Well the car went into audi yesterday. Should have it back next Saturday.

I took my car in this afternoon, for the engine rebuild to start in the morning.

Things have moved on quite quickly for me. I took my car in to the dealership on Saturday for the final part of the oil consumption test. No prizes for guessing that it FAILED. I went through a litre of oil in 350 miles, which is roughly what I thought it was.

Anyway, as a result my car had initially been booked in for a full 5 days Mon-Fri a few weeks ahead. However, they have brought it forward and it is now starting tomorrow. The dealership were already in the middle of another one, and they stated that if they are able to leave designated technicians, assigned purely to the engine rebuild, with no other jobs to do, then they are now able to complete it in 3 days. So it starts tomorrow morning, and I shlould have it back by Friday afternoon. Then hopefully I can get on with enjoying my new car.

DEALERSHIP - I have been taking my car to my nearest Audi dealership, Glasgow Audi at Hillington/Braehead.

I can not speak highly enough of the level of service that I have received from them. I have now dealt with virtually ALL of their service dept staff and a few of their technicians, and they have all been very helpful and understanding of the situation I found myself in, with a used car(but new to me obviously) that had a full Audi service history. I have made it clear from the start that I was aware of the issues with the 2.0T FSi engine and that the oil consumption would appear to be excessive, even for a car that is now out of manufacturers warranty with 57000 miles on the clock. But none the less Glasgow Audi have progressed with assisting with my issues without even the hint of a cross word between us, as is what can inevitably happen in these situations.

All this, and the initial Oil Consumtion Tests were carried out 'good-will' warranty work, AND just yesterday I was told that this would be continued right through to include the FULL costs involved in the entire engine rebuild with pistons/conrod etc.

AUDI ARE COVERING 100% OF THE ENTIRE BILL!!! (even the dealership takes care of about 9% of that, but they are happy that I will now be a new customer for them, which I 'WILL')

A4B8Sline - I even mentioned that I had read about your situation and the costs you are contributing to your identical repair, they seemed genuinely surprised that you were facing such a repair bill........
But equally did say that a large part of the descretion with out of warranty repairs, does lie with the dealership, so its a hard one to call. Further to that, they mentioned that labour charges do increase the further down south of the UK you are in, I have certainly heard of London labour charges being FAR higher, but their price for the entire job would not come to quite the £3800 you were quoted.

So, I know you have already given the green light for the repair, but it might be worth having another go at them regarding the price etc.

Good luck and let us know how you get on, and I hope that my experience is of use to others out there. Thans to you guys for your updates etc.

I just hope the repair goes well and my car performs as it should after all this. I'm sure it will, fingers crossed, and I'll update with how the repair goes. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Excellent for Audi to stump up and do this free of charge for you, you must be very happy. I'd be very interested to know how you get on when you have it back and have covered a couple of thousand miles.

my car is an April 2009 and covered 118k miles so although it has a full Audi history, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get any work completed as a good will gesture. I've done 3k miles in mine now in 3 months and the usage seems consistent so at least it's not getting worse

Thanks for the reply. And well done for getting it done for free. Makes me somewhat peed off with what I'm paying. I guess mine has more miles than yours so might be why? My dealership have been good but i will be having words comparing yours to mine. I have today been told the car won't be ready until Tuesday, apparently my big ends have quite a bit of wear on. They are replacing this for no additional cost. Only problem I have now is I'm away next week on holiday so I will have to collect the car a week Saturday.

I would definitely give it a go mate. You could be right with the mileage I suppose. The usual warranty is obviously 3 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. I know I am out of warranty being over the 3 years, but I am still under the mileage.
The other thing might be the fact of just how much oil mine is using, 350 miles to a litre is ridiculous!!!

I now know of someone at work with the same issue on a 1.8T engine. It's far too common an issue, for Audi to ignore.

Sorry to hear about the delay, that could cause me similar problems if mine gets held up.

Anyway, hope it works out for you.