Engine rattle on start up for less the 3secs then fine

Steve s

Reaction score
Hi all . I went to start the car this afternoon to go to my night shift and the engine rattled for 3secs if that on start up cold engine . Let it warmed up turned it off started again with no rattle . Am I thinking right timing chain if so how much engine is bul 2.0tfsi quattro

I had this problem and it was the dual mass fly wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These engines are known for occasional rattle on cold start up, depends on how long it goes on for really.
The Cam chain tensioner is hydraulic so after a few years they can start getting a bit worn and slow to react to oil pressure but as soon as oil is upto pressure the tension will be ok.
Cam chains don't stretch , but when not tensioned correctly will suffer from wear as will the spockets.
Depending on your milage etc it maybe prudent to do a chain/tensioner replacement, but don't be surprised if you still get a slight rattle.
If the tensioner pad is badly worn you stand a higher risk of the chain jumping and /or the cam timing becoming out of alighment.
It's supposed to be a lifetime part but rarely is.

The mileage off the car 132k not owned car long just before lockdown . Have replaced cam follwer as wasnt done but not a lot off wear on it still look ok but done anyway . Is this rattle something to be worried about . As only happens on cold start . What the best next step into is . With out going to a gargue spending loads . As someone before did point out about fly . But the car pulls and drives fine it's just cold start up rattle but not warm .

It is one of those audi things, some people have it and it never becomes an issue, others have a failure and all that entails.
I get it occasionally and allways have done over the last 5 years and i'm only on 84k with a new short motor.

it only happens when cold and just for a couple of seconds, never been an issue.
I've done a tensioner replacement and the old one was fine and still get it on the odd occasion, just takes a few seconds for the oil pressure to have effect on the tensioner really, that said the clearer you oilways etc and your oil system the better it will work.

It could be your DMF but if so you'd get it all the time weather hot or cold rain or shine so i would say its less likely to be that.

Ok thanks so one off the two . I will see how it go this week and then plain on the stage to go down . Say it is the dmf how long can I leave it to be done . To save money for it . I will look at the paperwork again that came with the car . As theres a lot . See what's else has been done .

I will also try and record the sound . And put it up when leaving work .

try and take if from as close to the bulkhead as possible.:icon thumright:

Just done some videos off the rattle . But dont know how to upload them . But I do notice same knocking noise from drive side a passenger side wheel bits it's not the wheel as I was on my driveway still . Could this be the fly rattling about causing the problems . As at the minute I am wondering if I did the right thing in getting the audi .