Engine problems

Danny Cawsey

Cawsey
Reaction score
Hi All, I know this isn't A3/S3 related but i know there's a lot of knowledgeable people here.

My boss has a 2000 b5 rs4 with a few problems and need some help diagnosing whats wrong with it.

I took it for a drive today and its got a bit of a lumpy idle doesn't really settle. when on boost its got a very slight stutter and doesn't pull so smooth.

He recently blew the turbos and has just had two brand new one's fitted a couple weeks ago not sure if this could be anything to do with it?.

Anyway i checked for fault codes and here is what i got:

16730 Camshaft position sensor
16730 Engine speed sensor
17930 Camshaft adjustment bank 2
18010 Power supply b+ terminal 30, voltage too low

Any Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Danny

Could be a timing issue with all the related sensor faults being logged. Has it had the belt done recently?

Take rocker covers off, i am pretty sure the cams are worn...

Check timing also clean up all the earth points behind coolant bottle sure ive heard of bad connection/high resistance causing a similar issue !!

Why did the turbos blow ?? Sounds like its pulling timing back on bank 2 maybe due to worn cams as above ??

The fault codes arent complete, the description bit that tells you whats actually wrong hasnt been posted.

Theres also a duplicate Pcode with two different names, which isnt possible. (the second one)

The first code and third code both point to mistimed engine or a broken/faulty tensioner.

16730/P0346 - Ross-Tech Wiki
17930/P1522 - Ross-Tech Wiki

The last code just means the battery was disconnected at some point.