Engine Oil Temperature reading on DIS

boggysv

Reaction score
Hi all,

My car is a 8P S3, totally stock, and while hooning around, I can easily get the oil temps to reach 100'c. This figure is read after turning into rest areas, so I'm guessing actual peak temperature is higher.

While driving normally, it stays at 90'c, but a few short sprints and it'd rise a couple of degrees. A 15min climb up a local hill can easily reach 100'c. I cant imagine a proper trackday where it's full throttle for so much more time.

I'm currently in malaysia, so temps arent exactly cold. It can be 20'c up the hill at night, and about 38 near sea-level during the day.

Anyone know what is the safe limit for our engines/oil? IF I were to put an additional oil cooler, anyone know where would be the best location? What sort of temps are you guys seeing?

The boiling point of oil is over 300c, so its only just warmed up at 100c......

If you look at car oil temperatiure guages, the "red" zone is from 140c and the "normal area" is approx 95-120c.

Anything up to 130c is well short of the red danger zone....

It's SUPPOSED to get to 100°C, to boil off condensation... -It's when it DOESN'T get to 100°C that you have problems like 'mayonnaise' from the emulsion of oil and suspended water... so don't worry about it.

100°C is NOTHING to oil... -Just because YOU think it's hot doesn't mean that the oil has any issues! ;)

Keith

It's SUPPOSED to get to 100°C, to boil off condensation...

Lol...wouldnt it be a great excuse. Sorry officer, I'm just trying to boil off condensation :busted_cop:

Mine will hapily sit at 110-120 with spirited back road blasting working the car hard and the same as blatting on das eine Straße zwölf.