Engine Oil Sensor

I

imported_mikee111

I have a 2001 AWM 1.8T FWD 5spd
I just got the warning display: engine oil can with squiggly line under it and says "SENSOR"
looked in the manual and says it's the engine oil sensor, but i tried looking it up in my bentley CD manual and can't find it...
where is this sensor located and what could be the problem?
could it just because it might have gotten wet, i'm in southern cali and it rained for 3weeks straight.
i've tried searching this topic but only found one similar and that one, no one replied to the problem...
please help... thanks in advanced

Have you checked to see if you have any oil in the engine?

Mine did that just after I got it!

Couldn't find the damn thing either!

It went away after a while... It also went away if I switched off the ignition and then switched it back on again.

Very odd and I have no idea what caused it.

T

i know i need an oil change... but i do have oil

and i dont wanny wait to see if it goes away cuz my climate control is not working either.

My sensor warning is back!!!

Aaargh!

Anyone get any further to solving the mystery!?

Tim

Update...

The engine oil temperature sensor is located on the bottom of the sump and goes directly through into the oil inside (so make sure you drain the oil if you're going to unbolt it!).

It has an electrical connector attached to it which is of three-pin socket and plug design.

I have attributed my sensor fault to the fact that one of the pins within the sensor housing itself was slightly corroded and looked like it would snap at any moment. This lead to a bad connection due to rust/corrosion etc. so I cleaned it up, sprayed it with a small amount of rust preventer and then silicone grease and re-assembled it. Works ok for the moment but if I get any further trouble I will replace it at the next service...

Hope this helps for future reference.

Best wishes

Tim

all the spray tim.... and into a three prong connector!

glad its still working ok! atm! ;-)

turbo time mate.... sooooooon

A.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh yes!

And thanks for the spray! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You little legend you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif