Engine Oil For 8V RS3

Castrol Edge is Castrol brand, not Audi/Seat/Volkswagen/Skoda OEM, I didn't say that 5W30 oil is being discontinued world wide any more, I said that Audi discontinued to make it, or to be more exact, Audi discontinued to produce oil part number: G052195M4 (5W-30 504.00-507.00), and it's successor is now: GS55545M4EUR (0W-30 504.00/507.00), and it's backwards compatible to 5W-30.

And are you bothered by Audi discontinuing their “own brand” ? Can’t see the problem when there are quantum / Castrol alternatives available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And are you bothered by Audi discontinuing their “own brand” ? Can’t see the problem when there are quantum / Castrol alternatives available.

Sure I am, I can't go to sleep until I lie in a bed. If Audi discontinued it's making of 5W-30 oil, then there must be a reason for it. I wasn't sure, I wanted first someone to confirm this. I use Ravenol VMP 5W-30 oil as of late, but the first choice now, and the Ravenol oil guide's 1st choice also is 0W-30 VSW, which wasn't there 2 months ago when I switched to Ravenol, and it's kind of the same period when Audi discontinued the 5W-30 and switched to 0W-30. Is it a coincidence I don't know. The Ravenol is kind of revelation to me, it has all the specs of Audi, it covers all the OEM part numbers of oils, and the spec Audi Motorsport, which I never saw on any oil before, and on the Ravenol website it can be seen that they are a sponsor of Audi Motorsport division, and the Audi RS3 perticular.
They are the only oil factory that I know of that doesn't hide it's contents in oil. They have 4th group oils (PAO) and I use that in my RS3.
Ravenol

Sure I am, I can't go to sleep until I lie in a bed. If Audi discontinued it's making of 5W-30 oil, then there must be a reason for it. I wasn't sure, I wanted first someone to confirm this. I use Ravenol VMP 5W-30 oil as of late, but the first choice now, and the Ravenol oil guide's 1st choice also is 0W-30 VSW, which wasn't there 2 months ago when I switched to Ravenol, and it's kind of the same period when Audi discontinued the 5W-30 and switched to 0W-30. Is it a coincidence I don't know. The Ravenol is kind of revelation to me, it has all the specs of Audi, it covers all the OEM part numbers of oils, and the spec Audi Motorsport, which I never saw on any oil before, and on the Ravenol website it can be seen that they are a sponsor of Audi Motorsport division, and the Audi RS3 perticular.
They are the only oil factory that I know of that doesn't hide it's contents in oil. They have 4th group oils (PAO) and I use that in my RS3.
View attachment 209784

Castrol edge 5W-30 here. No issues and it’s an Audi Approved oil.

View attachment 209784

View attachment 209784

Most Uk Audi dealers use 5W-30 Castrol edge professional.

Can’t see the issue to be honest, Audi prolly discontinued it because all the dealers were buying the recommended by Audi Castrol oil.

Been using it for 11 yrs since I switched to Ravenol. And it's written in the oil filler cap that Audi recommends Castrol, and all that stands. But I can't figure, why did they produce their own OEM oil, but recommended another brand oil. That's kind of gimic, it makes no sense, aldo maybe Castrol did make Audi OEM oil, but there's no evidence of this.

I don't know how deep did you go in oil making process, and never the less Castrol 5W-30 is a good oil, and you'll have no problem adleist in the short term, the differnece will show in long term usage.

Germany is the only country in the world that has strict regulations in oil branding and designation.
Castrol 5W-30, 507.00 is labeled as Full Synthetic in the UK, but in Germany is labeled as HC-Synthese not Vollsyntetisches like for instance Ravenol VMP 5W-30.

And HC-Synthese means that the oil is Hydro cracked from crude oil, and has a lot of impurities that are inevitable from crude oil plus added aditives.

Full synthetic oil like Ravenol VMP 5W-30, that is PAO, is made in a labaratory and every molecule is made to be let's say perfect.

The reason why most brand oils are made from crude oil is the price of manufacturing such oils that is cheaper.

I would like to be given a choice like we have in Ravenol, for etc. they have 5W-30 VMP(504.00-507.00) made from PAO and are full synthetic, and they have 5W-30 oil (504.00-507.) SMP that are made from 3rd group from crude oils and it's a bit cheaper.

Been using it for 11 yrs since I switched to Ravenol. And it's written in the oil filler cap that Audi recommends Castrol, and all that stands. But I can't figure, why did they produce their own OEM oil, but recommended another brand oil. That's kind of gimic, it makes no sense, aldo maybe Castrol did make Audi OEM oil, but there's no evidence of this.

I don't know how deep did you go in oil making process, and never the less Castrol 5W-30 is a good oil, and you'll have no problem adleist in the short term, the differnece will show in long term usage.

Germany is the only country in the world that has strict regulations in oil branding and designation.
Castrol 5W-30, 507.00 is labeled as Full Synthetic in the UK, but in Germany is labeled as HC-Synthese not Vollsyntetisches like for instance Ravenol VMP 5W-30.

And HC-Synthese means that the oil is Hydro cracked from crude oil, and has a lot of impurities that are inevitable from crude oil plus added aditives.

Full synthetic oil like Ravenol VMP 5W-30, that is PAO, is made in a labaratory and every molecule is made to be let's say perfect.

The reason why most brand oils are made from crude oil is the price of manufacturing such oils that is cheaper.

I would like to be given a choice like we have in Ravenol, for etc. they have 5W-30 VMP(504.00-507.00) made from PAO and are full synthetic, and they have 5W-30 oil (504.00-507.) SMP that are made from 3rd group from crude oils and it's a bit cheaper.

Lol I don’t lose sleep over it........

504.00 507.00 is best not made from just one oil basestock group nor likely to be .

It's best to be the top three then you gain the benefits of each to make it the very complete oil manufacturer spec it is .

504.00 507.00 is best not made from just one oil basestock group nor likely to be .

It's best to be the top three then you gain the benefits of each to make it the very complete oil manufacturer spec it is .

I agree, but surely it would be best that it has more percentage from the 5th, and 4th group, then from the 3rd.
And Ravenol is the only company that I know of that revealed the contents of their oil clearly.

Even group 5 Racing ester marketed oil only has 10-20% group 5 .

Reactions: s3facelift09
Even group 5 Racing ester marketed oil only has 10-20% group 5 .
I also agree on this, but you also must agree on a fact that real laboratory synthetic oil is more clean then oil produced from crued oil, it has less impurities, less sulphated ash etc. etc. which is better in the long run for an engine.

Most Uk Audi dealers use 5W-30 Castrol edge professional.

Can’t see the issue to be honest, Audi prolly discontinued it because all the dealers were buying the recommended by Audi Castrol oil.

But Audi didn't discontinue to produce oil in total, they only started to produce a successor to 5W-30 504.-507.00 with 0W-30 504.00-507.00.
G052195m4

For etc. they still make 502.00 5W-40.
The issue is, if they stopped producing it, and have a successor, is it for a good reason to switch to this oil, because the Manual of the RS3 states that we need to use for long life servicing 5W-30(504.00), and for fixed servicing 5W-40 (502.00)oil.

But if this oil is better I'll probabbly switch to this.

They certainly cause confusion there and it's been going on for 16 years .

The best oil is the one with group 4 and 5 and has the higher additive package concentration !

They certainly cause confusion there and it's been going on for 16 years .

The best oil is the one with group 4 and 5 and has the higher additive package concentration !
And the only oil manufacturer near by, that I know of that revealed the content of it's oil is Ravenol. You know what you get and what you buy.

There's not many that do , such secrecy .
It's secrecy because 95% of oil manufacturers use hydrocracking from crude oil to lower the cost of production, and that's why the content of their oil is a secret, and I'm not saying that hydrocracked oil is not good, it's maybe 5% less good, maybe 10%, maybe 1%, but never the less, why wouldn't I buy a better oil for the same price, or a little higher.

Technically a mineral but legally a synthetic .

Try to embrace it as it's what is in most synthetic oils , it's highly modified .

3 , 4 and 5 = complete performance profile.

But Audi didn't discontinue to produce oil in total, they only started to produce a successor to 5W-30 504.-507.00 with 0W-30 504.00-507.00.
View attachment 209833

For etc. they still make 502.00 5W-40.
The issue is, if they stopped producing it, and have a successor, is it for a good reason to switch to this oil, because the Manual of the RS3 states that we need to use for long life servicing 5W-30(504.00), and for fixed servicing 5W-40 (502.00)oil.

But if this oil is better I'll probabbly switch to this.

In the uk audi dealers don’t seem to use Audi branded oil, not the ones I’ve used anyway.
They use Castrol or a Quantum oil.

I always use the Castrol Edge product at 5K intervals.

Technically a mineral but legally a synthetic .

Try to embrace it as it's what is in most synthetic oils , it's highly modified .

3 , 4 and 5 = complete performance profile.
Technically a mineral but legally a synthetic, yes, in all the countries of the world except one, Germany, oil for the German market is prohibited to be labeled as full synthetic if they are hydrocracked from crude oil. Castrol Edge 5W-30 504.00-507.00 for etc. is labeled in the German market as HC-Synthese not Vollsyntetische.

Motul that is in all markets worldwide labeled as 100% Synthetic, and I'm not talking about their Ester based oils for motorcycles and racing cars, they are 100% Synthetic, but ''normal'' oils for cars, like 5W-40, 5W-30 504.00-507.00 etc. that are labeled as 100% SYNTHETIC are not labeled in Germany as 100% Synthetic but smth like Synthese technologie.

Here's an example of oil for other worldwide markets(excluding Germany) , it's Motul 5W-30 8100 X-Clean+ 504.00-507-00

And here's an example of the exact same oil but for the German market where there are strict regulations about oil labeling being full synthetic.
ST

And it's the same story with all other known brands of oil, except Ravenol.

In the uk audi dealers don’t seem to use Audi branded oil, not the ones I’ve used anyway.
They use Castrol or a Quantum oil.

I always use the Castrol Edge product at 5K intervals.

I think it depends on the country, it depends on the dealership itself, I think that in my country they had a contract made with Shell at some point over 10yrs ago, and they switched to Shell completely that year, later they used both Castrol and OEM oil..

With or without group 3 it's going to be very difficult to determine the actual oil performance profile differences .

Just read through the thread and a bit of clarity required
Is castrol edge 5w - 30 fully syn good enough for a stage 1 car or
Is it recommended to go 5w - 40 Esther syn

just acquired the car and want to oil
Change with haldex oil , brake pads and brake fluid.
Any help appreciated

Just read through the thread and a bit of clarity required
Is castrol edge 5w - 30 fully syn good enough for a stage 1 car or
Is it recommended to go 5w - 40 Esther syn

just acquired the car and want to oil
Change with haldex oil , brake pads and brake fluid.
Any help appreciated
Yes Castrol is fine for a stage 1, but if you want to go for a more porformance orientated oil then move to the 5w-40 ester synthetic.

Cheers,

Guy