Engine oil for 2.0 TFSI A4

novril

Reaction score
Evening chaps,

Service time is up for my 2.0 TFSI and I wanted to know what engine oils you recommend. I have been using Quantum Platinum since I replaced the oil pick up pipe a few thousand miles ago. Is there anything recommended to help avoid oil pressure problems?

I have been reading quite a few in the states swear by Mobil 1 New Life 0w-40 but all I see recommended is 5w-30 and don't want to go too far. I was hoping I'd be able to run the same oil in this and my Civic type R but I don't think that will work (they are both oil thirsty engines, would be easy when topping up).

I'm a Mercedes technician and don't run long intervals so want something good but not overly expensive like Millers Nanodrive etc..

Would you say its best to stick with Quantum from TPS when I get the other bits?

Cheers,

Mark.

Castrol 5W-30 has been my choice for good while.
Also worth changing the oil pick up pipe for a new revised one while doing the service just to avoid any dreaded oil pressure/delivery issues imo

I run Mobil 1 0w40 personally.

For a few reasons. Good for cold start ups, £30 for 5 litre, I find my vehicle doesn't use as much oil.

Will switch to 5w40 for summer weather.

But in terms of value I think £30 for 5 litres you cant go wrong really.

Interesting thread !

@Giosabcsl - Gio, does the slight increase increase in viscosity influence the oil consumption rate ? Also, does this offer higher level of protection on a modified engine or one used 'enthusiastically' ;) presume when pushed harder, thus higher oil operating temperatures, the viscosity of the recommended 5w 30 would fall further ?

I don't plan to run different oils summer to winter as our ambient temps aren't extreme. Just interested what everyone runs and why.

I might just go for 0w40 and see what happens. I can't see the increase in viscosity being a bad thing, the car mainly does short trips with the Mrs so the 0w might help out.

Does anyone know what Craig runs in his customers cars? He's always in the know on anything turbocharged! Haha. In his monster I saw it was millers nano but probs over kill for the daily.

I've got some time to ponder as I have a million and one car maintenance jobs queued up. All good fun.

Anyone else want to join in the chat?

Cheers, Mark.

Any more info on this?

I thought everyone would have a different preference for engine oils!

Any more info on this?

I thought everyone would have a different preference for engine oils!

Am up in Sweden Mate, and I use any good fully synth 5W 30 my garage has on offer at the time. I do a oil and filter change every 6k Miles regardless of time. Oh, and I have been using a Dimplex magnetic sumpplug from Motorsport Developments for the last 2 years. Cars now on 253,000kms....runs as sweet as a nut!

Best Wishes
a

What does the book recommend? I would go out to car to check but tucked up nicely under the duvet lol

Uploadfromtaptalk1434521128708

That's what the book says, think I'll run quantum again this time. While I'm ordering stuff from TPS.

Thanks for the input chaps.

Reactions: Pdunne75
I now use ASDA oil :friendly wink: £17 for 5litres. has the correct VW grades fitted.

TPS sent me quantum long life 5w30. Came to 80 quid for 6 litres of oil, oil, air and fuel filters. Not too bad for genuine.

So it is Long Life, I'll still be changing it every year though.

The price does change regularly, sometimes up to £26.

Yeah , £26 norm , £19 on roll back at my local which has only happened once since the oils introduction into my local store in November 2014 .

It's not VW approved as such but "meets or exceeds the requirements of," this is usually a financial decision as submission for approval costs possibly hundreds of thousands of pounds , whilst an approved oil could command a higher price tag the submission fee eats into profits , the big producers can afford to do this .

The cheapest "approved" oil is Quantum LongLife III.

Holy thread revival Batman!

Lads, car is going in for a service soon and I'm stuck on what oil to buy. Currently mapped with some goodies so running around or just over 250bhp, originally always serviced with 5w30 but went up to 5w40 after the map. Still burns a good bit of oil so want to make sure I get the right one. Also going to look into some Lucas Oil additive which is meant to deter burning oil.

What brands and specs are you guys using on modified 2.0t's?

I always run Mobil 1. Fully synthetic 0w30 I think. Running around 260bhp on a remap and uses very little oil. Then again I do oil changes every 4-5k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk