Engine noise over 70mph.

pembo1976

Reaction score
I've been the owner of a 2002 A4 1.8T quattro for a couple of weeks now and I find the engine noise excessive when doing over 70mph, its like I need another gear, I dip the clutch and its silent so its definately engine noise. Is it something to do with the turbo? if so is there any cure or is common to all of that model??

Cheers.

Check to see if the tyres are right way round i.e. they are not directional. I think this has come up before as someone mentioned early B6's have 5 gears but Audi then put on an extra cog on later models. Someone that knows what they are talking about will have more of an idea

thought is was the only the 190 version of the 1.8t that had the 6 speed boxes

Mine's a 5 speed, it certainly feels as though it needs 6! Its not the tyres as when I dip the clutch its silent, it's the engine.

pembo1976 said:
I've been the owner of a 2002 A4 1.8T quattro for a couple of weeks now and I find the engine noise excessive when doing over 70mph, its like I need another gear, I dip the clutch and its silent so its definately engine noise. Is it something to do with the turbo? if so is there any cure or is common to all of that model??

Cheers.

Hi, sorry to hear your concerns - could I ask what mileage your car has, and is the noise more noticeable when going up hill? If it's the turbo it should be equally noisy through the gears (and therefore at lower speeds). It could be gearbox related, in which case try driving the car at 70mph in 4th gear and then 5th, and 6th if you have it. If this is the case first thing to try is changing the oil in the box.

Cheers,

Beef

There was a thread about this a while back. I noticed it on my AVJ 1.8T so did Juss and a few others.

I was a bit concerned about it and thought it was just my car but its nothing to worry about, their just noisy around that speed.

Mine was AVJ so was juss's so Im not sure if its just the engine ot what.

Thats right, For some reason they sound like they are being thrashed but its just the Engine Note, Could of really done with a 6th gear...Which is why they did so on the later ones.

Nothing to worry about, I thinks its just the peak of the noise at that speed of around 75mph - 80mph. after that mine doesnt sound too bad. Still sounds like its being thrashed though.

Pemo - Do you know your engine code???

petewon said:
There was a thread about this a while back. I noticed it on my AVJ 1.8T so did Juss and a few others.

I was a bit concerned about it and thought it was just my car but its nothing to worry about, their just noisy around that speed.

Mine was AVJ so was juss's so Im not sure if its just the engine ot what.

Thanks for the feedback, looks like I'm not the only one. My engine code is AVJ016774

pembo1976 said:
Thanks for the feedback, looks like I'm not the only one. My engine code is AVJ016774

..there you Go, Good old AVJ does it again! ****** things..Why though, thats my question!!!

Just out of Interest Pembo, Are your revs sticking yet at High rev gear change???

absolutely!! rev's for a couple of seconds after ive dipped the clutch. It does'nt bother me too much just that everyone thinks I'm a sh!t driver.

Well Ive got you the Cure matey, Me and another member 'Golf' aswell as many others were going crazy with this problem, You gotta admit, its very annoying when you change gear at high rev, Like you say, People must think there is a Granny behind the wheel....

The part you need is a Clutch Switch, which Sits above your Clutch pedal, It has something to do with the controlling of your revs when the Cltuch is dipped. They Break up inside and the spring becomes lazy, hence the slow drop in Revs when they really should be instant....

Anyway, ring your Audi dealer and quote them this part number : 1J0 927 189F and they will tell you its the switch....It will cost you no more than £12.00, Yes £12.... Its worth it mate for the sake of a chinese takeaway. Dead easy to fit, I fitted mine in 10mins..Piece of ****!!

Go on Pembo, You know it makes sense..:icon_thumright:

pembo1976 said:
absolutely!! rev's for a couple of seconds after ive dipped the clutch. It does'nt bother me too much just that everyone thinks I'm a sh!t driver.

nice one, I take it it's somehow behind the clutch pedal in the cabin? Thats a good shout mate, thanks for that.

Have you had yours remapped? I'm thinking about it, heard Awesome Gti in Manchester are good, I live in Lancaster so not far to go. £375 for around 40bhp extra, seems to good to be true.

Cheers

Yes it sits about 6 - 7 inches above your actual pedal, you cant actually see it until you take the foot cabin trim off, dont be alarmed though, think its only about 4 screws if I remember rightly... ill have a look because Golf was the one who pointed out the screws to me, dead simple Honest.

Yes mine is remap'd, I paid £295 for a mobile guy to come out, he travelled from sheffield way aswell. He's got a website (which ill find tomorrow) and he advertised on ebay too. I was a little paranoid about using him at first but once I seen his feedback and hearing from a few of his customers, I was more than happy to let him loose on my car.
mine was a 163bhp edition, Im guessing that im hitting just over the 200 mark now or near abouts, Ive put a stainless on and added a filter. I also changed my NJ valve the same time as uprating my diverter valve.

I gotta say I was well please when I had it map'd, straight away it was so much responsive. the 163 is lame but the map helps it out with that extra torque. Ive had m3'3 & Scooby's before mate so driving this is a big come down power wise but there is nothing better than the 4ring comfort and dont get me wrong its pretty nifty for a heavy car!!:icon_thumright:

£295 is more like it, mines also the 163bhp model, sounds like he could be the man. If you could post up his site when you get chance I'll take a look and let you know how I get on, it sounds like its well worth it. Got a few other bits to sort out first; change of coolant sensor and little water leak then time to start enjoying the Audi experience.:icon_thumright:

Cheers