Engine noise on COD mode

Audi Ashley

Reaction score
Guys, I am probably gonna answer my own question here but wanted to check what other cars do?

Car is 1.4tfsi 150 and when in COD the engine sounds ticktey or tapity if thats what its called. I guess becuase the engine is only running on 2 cylinders. When not in COD engine sounds normal.

Sorry if im being daft.

I have the same engine, and I can detect no difference in engine sound when running in 2 cylinder mode. The only way I can tell is to look at the DIS display.

ive never noticed any change either. If it wasnt for message on dash i wouldnt know. i will check with window down.

Inside I dont notice a thing. With windows down yesterday I could just hear the engine tick alittle on COD. Im starting to regret buying this car. 2 year old Audi that is making noises on gear change and now sounded strange on COD. Maybe I need to go back to my MK4 Astra. :-(

I have the cod and it definitely sounds more tapity when in 2cyl. You don’t notice with the windows up but with windows down and sound bouncing off walls/parked cars it’s quite noticeably louder.

I hoped this was normal though...

Reactions: Audi Ashley
Yes. Only heard for first time yesterday cus i had windows down and heard it bounce of walls and cars etc. Least someone else has same thing

Can any other COD drivers please confirm that when it COD mode the engine is noisey/tapity with the windows down. Unable to detect any other way and with windows up. With windows down you can hear it bounce off walls and cars and sounds unsettling. Does it need to go back to Audi. Any help would be greatly recieved.

I dont feel anything but defo hear it change (with windows down). Well I have decided that I dont want a ticking time bomb and gonna ask for my money back first thing tomorrow. My Audi dream has come to an end. Wish me luck guys.

I dont feel anything but defo hear it change (with windows down). Well I have decided that I dont want a ticking time bomb and gonna ask for my money back first thing tomorrow. My Audi dream has come to an end. Wish me luck guys.
Well good luck with that. I doubt they will give you your money back for a bit of noise you can only hear with the windows down. Howlong have you had it?

Yes. My car is exactly the same. Totally normal. Had courtesy cars that are the same too.

Put the DIS on 'live' MPG and roll down the windows. COD usually kicks in around 60-65MPG.
If you can maintain that live MPG and 2 cylinder mode kicks in, you will notice it sounds quite lumpy (compared to normal).

However, if you get up to 75-80MPG+ on the live DIS reading, you will notice that running in 2 cylinder mode is barely discernible.
I suspect that you're detecting the 'sounds/tickety/tapity' at the lower end of the COD parameters when the engine is labouring whilst running 2 cylinders.

That's just my opinion. Could be way off the mark. Other people may completely disagree.
Take it to the dealer if you're concerned.

Yes. My car is exactly the same. Totally normal. Had courtesy cars that are the same too.

Put the DIS on 'live' MPG and roll down the windows. COD usually kicks in around 60-65MPG.
If you can maintain that live MPG and 2 cylinder mode kicks in, you will notice it sounds quite lumpy (compared to normal).

However, if you get up to 75-80MPG+ on the live DIS reading, you will notice that running in 2 cylinder mode is barely discernible.
I suspect that you're detecting the 'sounds/tickety/tapity' at the lower end of the COD parameters when the engine is labouring whilst running 2 cylinders.

That's just my opinion. Could be way off the mark. Other people may completely disagree.
Take it to the dealer if you're concerned.

Yes whilst doing slow speeds and only hear it when it bounces of other cars, walls with windows down.

Maybe you are worrying about it too much.

Your probably right. I have crap eye sight but amazing hearing so I pick up on alot of things others dont. Its just I dont want the car to have a huge failure of some sort in 12 months time if there is an issue thats all. Seems alot of people say yep it does it and other say no. I have read it cud be down to the actuator rod rattling. Others say its the injectors. Audi say its a chararistic of the engine. What do I belive ?

Found this thread, same issue, same noise as in the first 3 vids. why does it effect some cars not all?

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....engine-rattling-during-act-mode.444764/page-2
I'd guess its down to differences between people rather than difference between cars. People's perception of noise can vary hugely - I get driven mad by little noises.

As for a modern petrol engine sounding tappity from the outside, that's completely normal I'm afraid, and it's unsurprising that there is a change in sound when the car is running on two cylinders.

I doubt this is a fault, and certainly not something to consider rejecting a car over.