Engine noise from start up!

MattW86

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I haven't been on here in a long time and I am ashamed to say that my lovely nogaro S3 has been neglected for the last 6 months due to a more fuel efficient motor being required for work.

Anywho, onto the issue I have been met with whilst trying to get the S3 back into action. The battery had completely shat itself before xmas and I was lucky to have a warranty on the battery with Halfords and all was well again. I made attempts to jump start a family members car with the new battery and since then the following noise is constant from the engine once started:

From a bit of digging about the web, I am still none the wiser whether its the alternator, power steering pump or something more costly.

If anybody has any insight into what may be the issue I would appreciate the help.

Cheers

Matt

Does the noise go up and down with RPM?

Reactions: MattW86
sounds like bad bearings in the alternator. Take off the belt and blow some pressured air into the vanes of the alternator. this will allow you to hear if the bearings are good or bad.

Reactions: MattW86
Cheers for the replies lads, the noise does alter when I press the accelerator and when I turn the steering wheel. I might give that a try NickVC. If I release the tensioner will that make it easier for the belt to be taken off?

Cheers,

Matt

the tensioner is an auto kind tensioner, just put a 15mm wrench on it and pull it one side so the belt gets some slack. then you should be able to take the belt off

sounds like power steering pump to me, check the fluid level in the little pot and top it up to see if the noise goes, I hadn't used my S3 for a few months this year and when I went to use it the high pressure power steering pipe had started leaking and it made that noise when the fluid was low.

Upload 2018 1 8 23 48 15

Didn’t get a chance to look over the car today, will report back on the previously mentioned points hopefully tomorrow.

Cheers

Matt

So, took a look at the power steering reservoir and the level seems spot on. Should the fluid foam up after the car has been driven a short distance and the wheels only used slightly, .i.e. to maneuver out of a parking space.

I haven't tried with the tensioner yet, was too cold out there.

Matt

P.S I have a copy of VCDS lite and a wee cheapo cable laying around somewhere, would a issue with the alternator show up on it?

don't know about the foaming, but if there is fluid in the container it must also be in the power steering pump - as mine only made that noise when the fluid had leaked out and the ump was dry.

Bit of an update, only took 8 months! The joys of work.

Took the alternator off and had it refurbished... no change!

Bled the power steering system and took it for a drive and all was going well, let the car idle for awhile to charge the battery and steering fluid starting leaking from the drivers side. So found the fault eventually, seems like a seal has went in the rack.

Can anybody confirm the right part number for a 2001 BAM S3... the only part number I can find is for a TT -
8N2422061HX

Cheers

Matt

what part are you trying to get? if it is the high pressure pipe, I fitted a TT one to my S3 and it has a slightly different orientation.

Hey Stuart,

The leak is coming from the drivers side main joint with the track rod. I was thinking of a tt rack as a replacement whilst i get the original refurbished.

Oh it's actual steering rack. Remember its a quick rack on the s3.