engine mystery

Beeblebrox

Reaction score
Hi guys while driving down the m4 this morring the car was driving fine then i hit traffic then all of a sudden the car died first coughed and splaterd then cut out i managed to get to the hard shoulder but it would not restart turns over fine sound like no fuel geting to the engine. The aa came around scaned the car no faults found and seeed to not know what the issues where the car has been towed to west london audi just looking if any one had an idea if so how much of a bill would i be looking at

The car recently had it cambelt changed but hopfully it shouldnt be this and yes it had disel over half a tank

Recent thread within the last week same fault, same recent cambelt job, was a snapped stud/bolt causing the tensioner to fail

Hope it is nothing serious!

I have had similar and it was a faulty connection on the throttle body. Just cuts out with no error codes.
Quick wiggle of the wires and was fine again. Have since resoldered back into the connector and no problems since.

Hi guys audi just informed me that the bolt on the tensioner has snaped causing damage to the belt and posibly the head as the parts used were audi genuinie parts with a two year garuentee and the bolt was included in the kit i confimred with tps would audi repair the car under the part garuentee or would i be left to foo the hefty bill? help please

Unfortunately no Audi didn't fit them but mechanic who works for vw but it shouldn't matter as its the part that failed so if a trained person fitted it and the part fails i think audi should be liable as their parts were substandard

Unfortunately it would be very easy for them to say that the part had been overtightened, which it may have and this is what caused the failure. Did the mechanic use a torque wrench to tighten all the bolts ? .
Probably not an experienced mechanic knows how tight a bolt should be.

Karl.

The mechanic works for vw and had the correct torque setting and all the correct tools yes it will very hard to convince them but I have no other chioce I can't afford to pay for a rebuilt engine I'm **** creek with out paddle

So after some Audi missleading they now after origanly saying they would do the work under warenty to the point of saying my car was taken apart to now saying they won't do it under warenty claiming the bolt was over first to lose causing the tensioner to move then to say it was to tight causing it to rub on the engine block. If that was the case how did it not fail sooner but the upshot is now I have to have the car towed to my original mechanic but have no contacts dose any one know of a guy with a trailer in the south west London or slough area who maybe able to help out I can pay for disel cost but have no other money due to a recent burgelry it been a **** month please feel free to contact me by pm many thanks Chris

use your AA
and yes it is down to your mech to repair
audi warrent the parts for 2 years yes but only the parts and as incorect fitting its down to him
thats wjy i always make sure i use my bloke or dealer if hes not around
never can be to careful with the belts

I wish I could but as they towed me there they want £89 to tow me back to my mate who works for vw as they said I was only allowed one tow

might be worth the 89 how far does it need to go ?

Wow this is getting expensive just been told I need a new crank they said it has exsessive float and play and a new turbo exsessive play in the shaft plus the valves replaced and while I'm there the oil balance shaft overhaul I just sold my wife's kidney on the bay and my last shred of decency to a rich gambler who offers me a million dollars lol.

How many miles has the engine done ?. Sounds to me like you would be better off fitting a recon engine.
Chris Adams ( Adamss24) on this forum is an indie mechanic lives near the top end of London you could try PM ing him, He has a trailer but I don't think you would get a car towed 14 miles for much less than what you have been quoted.

Karl.

The car had done 189400 miles so probably the general wear on the crank and turbo. Yes I could get a recon engine but they would still need to replace the turbo as ancillaries are not normally supplied but hey guys doing my engine will offer a life time warranty when finished and zero mileage status it is costing a bit but should be as good as new fingers crossed.

The life time warranty will probably have more than a few get outs, ie they do the servicing to their mileage specs and not audis specs etc etc

Yes they probably will but they said after rebuild will need oil change after 500 miles then after 6000 miles but then refer to Audi standard service schedule will go through the small print with a fine tooth Combe but. Also have not given up with regards the bolt I sent it off to have it checked out if it was over tightened or if it had any defects in its construction ie air pockets or production faults