Engine Mounts

Jenno007

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Since my engine mounts have done around 100k miles I thought I had better change them. I am also getting a clunk on gear changes which I am hoping relates to the mounts. Reading through old threads I noticed the THS mounts are discussed a lot (even Tuffty got them for his own car), however I can't seem to be able to purchase them from anywhere...

I was thinking of changing the dog bone bush and the gearbox and engine side mounts. I am not after the best mounts in the world I would happily buy OEM (aside from the dog bone since the bush is pretty cheap), I just want to replace these old parts. This is my daily and not a track monster.

I have come across the following:
http://store.034motorsport.com/moto...-mk4-volkswagen-8l-8n-audi-1-8t-2-0l-tdi.html

Would the mounts above and the dogbone powerflex bush (either red or yellow) be suitable. Or would you recommend something else/additional for a car that has done so many Kms.

I will get to the suspension mounts at a later date I am currently just worried about engine and gearbox mounts.

Thanks guys!

Edit: I just had a think about it, the dogbone polyflex bush is $40 and the entire dogbone mount is $72. Should I just get a new mount, or will it make no difference? It appears that the new mount comes with a rubber bush which wouldn't last as long?

THS stopped selling them, not sure why, I'm impressed with mine.
Try a search for Black Forest Industries for engine mounts, available with varying degrees of stiffness.
Vibratechnics are another option, some people say they are a bit harsh for daily use though.

Just fill them with polyurethane.

Reactions: superkarl
Try a search for Black Forest Industries for engine mounts, available with varying degrees of stiffness.
Vibratechnics are another option, some people say they are a bit harsh for daily use though.

Vibratechnic fast road are fine...they are a little harder than the THS ones but will be infinitely better than the black forest poly's

<tuffty/>

Thanks for that, I had a look on Black Forest's website but they don't have any products for the 8L series? At least I couldn't find any :\

Just fill them with polyurethane.
Forgive me for sounding stupid but do you mean just replace the bushes with polyurethane bushes? I have done this for the dogbone mount on my previous car, but I have no idea what I need to buy for the other two mounts. Could you show me a picture of what it is I need to buy so I don't get the wrong thing? That would awesome

Vibratechnic fast road are fine...they are a little harder than the THS ones but will be infinitely better than the black forest poly's
<tuffty/>
I see on your build thread you had the THS mounts but weren't amazed by them. Did you end up upgrading to the Vibratechnic? I can't justify the $$ needed for Vibratechnic when there are so many other things the car needs $ spent on.

You won't find stuff for 8L on Black Forests site as they are yanks and the 8L was imported so wouldn't be on the radar... you just want to look at any Mk4 chassis car with a 1.8t in it so Golf or TT

What Jardo means is fill the voids of the engine mounts with polyurethane compound... Prawn and a few others have done this with good results...

The THS mounts were ok... they were better than std for sure but I think hanging on to 400 ponies was a bit of an ask even for them tbh... the VT mounts are much better and while you can tell the difference if you drove a car with std mounts vs one with VT mounts its actually no where near as bad as you think...

Std mounts flop around something chronic... the THS/034 less so... can't speak for std mounts that were poly'd as I have not been in a car with them yet but the VT's are ace..

<tuffty/>

You won't find stuff for 8L on Black Forests site as they are yanks and the 8L was imported so wouldn't be on the radar... you just want to look at any Mk4 chassis car with a 1.8t in it so Golf or TT

What Jardo means is fill the voids of the engine mounts with polyurethane compound... Prawn and a few others have done this with good results...

The THS mounts were ok... they were better than std for sure but I think hanging on to 400 ponies was a bit of an ask even for them tbh... the VT mounts are much better and while you can tell the difference if you drove a car with std mounts vs one with VT mounts its actually no where near as bad as you think...

Std mounts flop around something chronic... the THS/034 less so... can't speak for std mounts that were poly'd as I have not been in a car with them yet but the VT's are ace..

<tuffty/>

Thanks for that mate. I will have a look around and see how much I can get the VT's for, but I might go with the 034's if I can't get them for a reasonable price. Still undecided if I should get a poly bush for the dogbone or an entire new dogbone...

My car will never be running 400bhp, and in reality is just my daily (I give it more attention than my weekend car though! :p), so I can't justify spending huge $$$ on mounts. Just want an improvement over the worn 160,000km old mounts.

Just buy some pourable poly, it's called Polytek.

Drill out all of the rubber in the mounts, pop the engine mount goo out of the engine side mount, run the engine mounts through your washing machine, cover one half of each of the mounts with some masking tape and pour in the poly.

Job done for about $25.

Reactions: Spatula
Just buy some pourable poly, it's called Polytek.

Drill out all of the rubber in the mounts, pop the engine mount goo out of the engine side mount, run the engine mounts through your washing machine, cover one half of each of the mounts with some masking tape and pour in the poly.

Job done for about $25.

The idea of being able to fix my mounts for $25 excites me. I'm guessing you can only do this for the two side mounts and you would need to purchase a new bush for the dog bone? That is no big deal as the bush for the dog bone is only about $40. After work I will try to search for other threads where people have done this, if it is a common thing I might give it a go. Question though.. doesn't the mount itself wear over time, not just the rubber. I saw a thread where someone's mount had appeared to have bent.

The mount itself shouldn't.

I did mine, Prawns done his, loads of the Seat boys do it.

There is a bit of chat about it somewhere in Prawns thread.

i polytek'd mine and whilst i haven't driven the pos yet, i cant move the engine on its mounts at all. Im looking forward to having my bones shaken to bits

Reactions: Dani_B19 and Alex C
I replaced my mounts with OEM one's before I got them polytek'd them up tbh...

More details here -

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/downpipe-results-in-replacing-my-engine-mounts.186645/

I personally wouldn't recommend going for the polytek 85 grade if you want to keep OEM feel and sound

i polytek'd mine and whilst i haven't driven the pos yet, i cant move the engine on its mounts at all. Im looking forward to having my bones shaken to bits

Can you polytek your two side mounts? I've never seem those parts for sale, as I don't really know what I'm looking for. Think you could link the parts I would be forever greatful. It's just the two side mounts and the dogbone right? I can find the dogbone polytek no problems, just not for the other two

He means using a poly based compound mate... you pour it into the voids of the existing mounts and after it sets it will stiffen the mount

You need to look at Prawns thread as I am sure he has done pics of when he did his...

<tuffty/>

Polytek is the name of the product.

I would have thought this was clear when I described how to do it.

It's gooood.

Polytek is the name of the product.

I would have thought this was clear when I described how to do it.

It's gooood.

**** I feel a real idiot. Sorry guys been sorting out insurance and rego for two different cars tonight with my girlfriend telling me to get off the computer! My head has been all over the place.

Thanks for the link Tuffty, and Klappe I got Polytek and Polyflex mixed up, what a dill I can be sometimes haha.

Reactions: 16Klappe
Sorry to jumo on this post but you recon vibratekniqs are best uprated mounts to go for then?? Unless you do your own

Unfortunately quality does not come cheap.

Yes it does.

My £30 home made poly mounts were just as good as the VT mounts Prawn purchased off Paul and just as good as the lake industries mounts in my friends Mk3.

Everything has a margin, and expense is no sign of quality...

Yes it does.

My £30 home made poly mounts were just as good as the VT mounts Prawn purchased off Paul and just as good as the lake industries mounts in my friends Mk3.

Everything has a margin, and expense is no sign of quality...

But how ****** is the cheap rubber inside the mounts. Yes adding some Polytek will stiffen the mount somewhat, but it is still rubber inside.

Let me rephrase it for you.
I "presume" you bought the cheap replica mounts off ebay, like many did including myself, which only lasted about 9 months after install before they had worn out which is why I went for the VT mounts.
To start with you have a mount made with a cheaper/inferior rubber to absorb the load from the engine. Then you filled in all the gaps with polytek to stiffen the mount somewhat. But the the main load from the engine is still being directed at the cheap rubber inside which will fail/breakdown quicker and sooner than if you were to buy for instance the VT mounts.
Anyway each to their own.

Never assume, it makes you say things that are irrelevant.

You DO NOT know the shore rating or quality of the rubber or polyurethane used within VT mounts.

I used 140,000 mile old mounts off my friends LCR, they felt identical in every way to my friends Mk3 which had brand new lake industry mounts, slightly stiffer than my old THS mounts, and slightly stiffer than VT mounts.

And they cost me £20 for the poly, and a tender for the mounts.

Better result, cheaper price.

Just because YOU bought **** mounts off eBay and hashed it up don't preach around to everyone saying they're rubbish.

Prawns done 20k+ on his and in terms of wear they've had more go through them than most peoples will in 200k.

I don't know why anybody would buy uprated mounts when they can make their own.

I DO NOT do things "on the cheap", if it needs to be done it gets done to the best of my ability and budget. I would say we could quite comfortably say the same for Mr OCD that Prawn is.

If there was a better option out there, for the sake of £200 I would do it. But home made mounts are the best, which is why I do it.

Loving my homemade mounts the car feels so planted and I get off on the vibration at the traffic lights I actually enjoy getting stuck at the lights oooh

Reactions: superkarl
Thanks for all the replies guys. I didn't realise I would be able to get the vibra technics for around $350 Aussie, I thought they were about $700 (when I first saw them for sale on eBay)

I've also found an Australian supplier of poly, if I go down that path I just need to decide on what grade I'll be using. They recommend the 90 for engine mounts which to me seems hard considering I read someones post that recommended 85 for the track.

I had that and it was my dog bone bush so I got a power flex one problem solved

Not driven a car with poly'd std mounts so can't really comment but I have used uprated ones so this is my take on the whole VT vs poly's debate...

VT mounts are designed to limit engine movement but also isolate vibrations as best they can... they come in two flavours... fast road and competition... having previously used uprated THS mounts that are harder rubber I can honestly say while there is a little increase on idle in vibration they are not that differnt to the THS ones IMO... I got more vibration when I fitted the small dogbone bush from powerflex... I already have a yellow main dogbone bush

Which brings me on to poly'd mounts... I suspect these will vibrate much more due to the way the mounting hardware is encapsulated but offer no difference in engine movement control...

This is why VT mounts are more expensive than most and to be fair they have come down in price when they introduced the redesigned fast road mounts...

Would I use poly'd mounts over VT's on my car or any car I build? no... especially not anything with a big turbo... but for a car on K04 power and if you have a spare set of mounts or just tired ones to have a faff with for the money it is probably worth a punt...

Everything has a place... VT mounts are well made and personally on the builds I am normally involved with well worth the money over poly's std mounts...

<tuffty/>

Never assume, it makes you say things that are irrelevant.

You DO NOT know the shore rating or quality of the rubber or polyurethane used within VT mounts.

I used 140,000 mile old mounts off my friends LCR, they felt identical in every way to my friends Mk3 which had brand new lake industry mounts, slightly stiffer than my old THS mounts, and slightly stiffer than VT mounts.

And they cost me £20 for the poly, and a tender for the mounts.

Better result, cheaper price.

Just because YOU bought **** mounts off eBay and hashed it up don't preach around to everyone saying they're rubbish.

Prawns done 20k+ on his and in terms of wear they've had more go through them than most peoples will in 200k.

I don't know why anybody would buy uprated mounts when they can make their own.

I DO NOT do things "on the cheap", if it needs to be done it gets done to the best of my ability and budget. I would say we could quite comfortably say the same for Mr OCD that Prawn is.

If there was a better option out there, for the sake of £200 I would do it. But home made mounts are the best, which is why I do it.

To those that don't know mate could you please elaborate on what you used and where it came from to poly the engine mounts, sounds a good idea

I used 140,000 mile old mounts off my friends LCR

Buy some standard mounts from a breaker.

Drill voids in all the rubber, cut the engine mount goo out of its membrane on the engine mount. Run them through the dishwasher and let them dry.

Mix up some of this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230844355565

Put masking tape over one side of the mount. Pour in the mixed up poly slowly.

Leave it over night.

Fit and enjoy.