Engine mounts replaced (with pics)

s3dave

TFSI Hybrid
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.stainless-engineering.co.uk
Following on from recent threads regarding Engine mounts, i was pretty shocked to see the state of mine when taken off the car,
My engine looked to be leaning quite significantly to the gearbox end, made aware with the head off.. so i got these,, (Just could not justify the vibro technics ones..:tocktock:)

photo20sm.jpg

Some side by side pics showing the drastic fatigue...

photo19ms.jpg

photo18m.jpg

photo17l.jpg

So if you have rubbing downpipes, jerky gearchanges etc, expect to find similar, I also filled the voids of the new mounts with a hard silicone i use at work, to give it that bit extra....;)

Ohh and by the way my engine is straight now...:happy:

nice write up, now im even more skint, who said forums are free

Reactions: silestanix
Following on from recent threads regarding Engine mounts, i was pretty shocked to see the state of mine when taken off the car,
My engine looked to be leaning quite significantly to the gearbox end, made aware with the head off.. so i got these,, (Just could not justify the vibro technics ones..:tocktock:)

So if you have rubbing downpipes, jerky gearchanges etc, expect to find similar, I also filled the voids of the new mounts with a hard silicone i use at work, to give it that bit extra....;)

Ohh and by the way my engine is straight now...:happy:

Hi Dave where did you get them from and how much are they,

Cheers, Chris.

Really easy, it is straight forward, just place a jack under the engine for the engine side and under the gearbox on the gearbox side..

You have to unclip the plastic trunking by the battery to get to the gearbox one...(5 bolts) 2x 18mm, 2x 16mm, and a 13mm...at the back..
Engine side take the cover off and unbolt the coolant bottle/steering res, just so you can get to the bolts, no need to disconnect them
Same again 18mm x2 16mm x 2 and a 13mm at the rear..
Once all the bolts are out you may need to drop the jack a bit to get the mounts out...Put the new ones in, and jack it up so it is square again...thats it ...1 hour max both sides

Thoight their was going tobe loads of pics, in depth write up etc, but no, disappointing dave :) haha.

Cant wait to fit mine now, just waiting for my liquid poly to turn up and my new bolts :).

Thoight their was going tobe loads of pics, in depth write up etc, but no, disappointing dave :) haha.

Haha Dani, as you say you are doing yours next, so get the camera out and a note pad...:)..
(plus i have only the block in the bay at the moment, so it would not have been a good representation..;))

Ergh, cameras broke haha.

I always start off takig pics but then get my head down and get stuck in then think, **** ive forgot the pics haha.

Cant wait to fit mine now, just waiting for my liquid poly to turn up and my new bolts :).

Bolts got posted today.

hope to do this once i have a few other things sorted i recall OEM mounts being more than 5 times the price these look identical. Whats the hard silicone called that you used dave ?

Its a glazing silicone, same as they use to put double glazed windows together , sets pretty solid.. forget the name offhand
but Everbuild do it, i think it is no 266

Thanks jason.

I was going to tiger seal my mounts as well but prawn said he didthe same to some ina mounts and he was still disappointed.

I think they were pretty new pal.

Will see how my new mounts with liquid poly in them are like haha, also done the doing a spare dogbon mount with the yellow bush and lower circle bush

cars guna knock worse than a 70 year old crack whore hooker haha.

Cheers for this Dave as the visual of the old vs new highlights a possible issue i would never of noticed i dont think.

Out of interest how old were the old mounts and what mileage had they covered?

As if its a reasonably easy job and not uber expensive i may have to add this to my to do list.

Nice so my 115k car may be in a similar position cheers for the info Dave

Right as planning on doing a few bits n bobs over easter I just ordered a set of these to fit too :)

My mounts had arrived today after work (bought the same ones S3Dave linked to above).

So as i had an hour or so to kill i decided to give fitting them a whirl.

All done now and wasnt too tough if a little fiddly as Dave said you can undo the coolant and P/s resevoirs and i alos removed the charge pipe to get to the engine side mount. Had a few issues lining the new one back up but with a bit of jacking etc got all the bolts in and then leveled it out and tightened up. The gearbox side should of been easier as i done have the oem airbox etc but the plastic cover that has the wire bundles inside just wouldnt budge and i couldnt move the wires enough to make it easy but got the old mount out in the end and the new one went in quite easy.

all back together and my old mounts were pretty worn out so defo worth the time and small cost to do me thinks.

@Dave. Are these genuine vw/audi parts. I only ask cause I have just got home from my local audi dealer to price these mounts. Well to say there is a slight price difference is an understatement. Left side mount 'gearbox' is 288.89euro less vat @23%. Right side mount is 102.30euro less vat. I questioned the person asking are they not the same as golf 4motion etc and was told no. I presume as yourself and vrob have fitted these they are correct.

Hi - did you have to replace the bolts when changing the mounts?