Engine mounts , Left and Right hand differences.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Evening all,
I hope you are enjoying the festive break albeit in a more restricted mode.

Anyway, Engine mounts and variations on them.
My special Ed Avant has the hydraulic mounts but not the wired ones, they are just standalone mounts.
I need to replace both as they are pretty well shot and by the looks of things been leaking for ages, also my BUL lump does now appear to rock in the sideways axis a lot, I can feel it move when I blip the throttle.

Does anyone one else with the same bus have similar mounts or wired ones, VCDS won't ping up a fault on mine as they have no interface, but many B7 do have the wired ones.
what is the format with this variation chaps.

rob

Evening all,
I hope you are enjoying the festive break albeit in a more restricted mode.

Anyway, Engine mounts and variations on them.
My special Ed Avant has the hydraulic mounts but not the wired ones, they are just standalone mounts.
I need to replace both as they are pretty well shot and by the looks of things been leaking for ages, also my BUL lump does now appear to rock in the sideways axis a lot, I can feel it move when I blip the throttle.

Does anyone one else with the same bus have similar mounts or wired ones, VCDS won't ping up a fault on mine as they have no interface, but many B7 do have the wired ones.
what is the format with this variation chaps.

rob
Ill have a look at mine in the morning Rob, what so different about them? I've heard that some are fluid filled or something?

yes, the oe fittment on B7 are hydraulic mounts and are known to leak fluid then fail, normally it is the RH side beneath the turbo that leaks but both side on mine are effected.
Some have a connection to the data bus which pings up a fault etc , but some don't have the interface , mine doesn't but a lot say there B7's do.

No bother. Our avants are pretty much the same, apart from quattro so I'll let you know

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Mine had that connector on the mount, but AFAIK, it is for diesels(i had a 1.9tdi) and it is for the ECU to up the revs a little more to avoid excessive engine vibrations(not sure if that is totally correct).
When my mounts where shot, I replaced them with the ones for the 2.5TDI, which apparently are a little stiffer, but lacked the connector. Did bring up a fault(no MIL) when scanned with VCDS. these mounts did give me some more vibrations, so looking back, if I would have replaced them again, I would have taken the OEM 1.9tdi mounts

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Mine had that connector on the mount, but AFAIK, it is for diesels(i had a 1.9tdi) and it is for the ECU to up the revs a little more to avoid excessive engine vibrations(not sure if that is totally correct).
When my mounts where shot, I replaced them with the ones for the 2.5TDI, which apparently are a little stiffer, but lacked the connector. Did bring up a fault(no MIL) when scanned with VCDS. these mounts did give me some more vibrations, so looking back, if I would have replaced them again, I would have taken the OEM 1.9tdi mounts

thanks for the update, maybe its just diesels then that have that type.

Easy way to check is look down the engine bay at them.

B5 RS4 mounts are a good fit and forget upgrade for anyone with hydraulic mounts.

Have you fitted them?
Any link to where you got them from and cost?

Yeah, they were from Audi and cost far too much money haha no doubt they are cheaper elsewhere but firstly didn't particularly trust cheap engine mounts and secondly couldn't wait for postage at the time. Going from hydraulic mounts they give a tiny bit more shake but if they're shot anyway it's pretty much same deal, felt like tolerable "race car shake" although swapped the snub mount same time so could have been that which gave the extra shake as all of these items were shot.

Afternoon chaps, so still looking to sort these out but another question comes to mind.
Left and right side are different part numbers and different prices , so thats no surprise, but it would appear that the mounts are the same unit just the right has a cover and the left does not.
Given the the cost difference between the two is a fair bit , even at aftermarket prices its £30-£50 just for cover on one.
Can the cover be removed from the OE mount and re-used or is it fixed?

My left hand mount total shot now and it looks like most of the hydraulic fluid is currently residing in the recess on the mounting bracket beneath it, its not water and a quick check on kitchen towel does confirm its some type of hyd oil.
right is not as bad but has been leaking to a degree aswell.

I was going to just buy a pair of left handers if the OE cover is removable , any thoughts.

rob

just took a vid and photo of the nearside and its pretty collaped and the boot is split, i think i best get a pair asap now, the nearside is not normally the worse side either.

Mount3