Engine management light on with fans running and 2 fault codes. HELP?!

Crunch

Reaction score
Hi, the other day i noticed when i started my car (2004 2.0 tdi) the engine jumped to 1600 revs before settling at normal tickover 8-900. Like i had started it with part throttle.

Next both the fans on the radiator were running at full speed even tho the temp guage was still at 50 degrees C.

I got a friends code reader on it and the 2 main codes thrown were:
19463 camshaft position sensor (G40): No signal
P3007 - 000 - - - Intermittant

and

16502 - Engine coolant temp sensor (G62): Signal too high
P0118 - 000 - -

Having done a search of this forum i had a read and decided to change the coolant temp sensor. I replaced the temp sensor twice (just incase i picked up a faulty one) and still as soon as the i put the ignition on the fans run at full speed.

Anyone got any advice or tips before i take it to audi as ive just moved house and really cant afford audi prices at the moment, thanks.

I think the two problems are not connected. You need to clear the faults and re-scan the car first.

The engine management light is on due to the camshaft position sensor (G40) being faulty ( see 19463/P3007/012295 - Ross-Tech Wiki )

As far as the fans are concerned I think I am right in saying there are two temperature sensors, one of which is actually in the fan. The only way this can be fixed afaik is to replace the fan units. The sensor you have replaced is probably ok (and the fault code will disappear after clearing and not return ) but the fans will still run if the other one is faulty.

Edit: by the way there are many VAG independent garages that charge much less than Audi but have all the expertise and facilities required. Just Google for your area.

Last edited:
Thnks for reply mate ,another question which sensor provides info to temp guage ?and which sensor provides info to ecu as the engine seems to be overfuelling and a bit smokey ,is g62 specific to one temp sensor or both ? car feels quite a bit quicker ?faults have been cleared 3 times but same codes appear again , sorry for all questions but trying to sort asap , regards crunch

Sorry Crunch - I'm not an expert - just passing on info that I have gleaned from the forum. I don't know the answers to your questions but hopefully someone else will come along to help.

Good luck and please let us all know the final answer for the benefit of all !

ok mate thanks for getting back to me regards crunch

You're welcome - any experts out there ( A8, NHN, etc. etc. ) who can help with the problem.

Cheers guys !