Engine management fault S5

Joetidman

Reaction score
So I got this randomly today. Was sat with handbrake on so took a quick photo (ignore Magic FM, I was scrolling through channels...honest ;))

It actually restricted my engine RPM (which I actually thought was pretty cool)

No engine sound change, or anything, so I assumed it was a software issue. Once I stopped, I restarted car and it disappeared!! Still a bit worrying so have booked into garage at the end of November. Will keep you all posted in case an issue for others.

I gave it the beans down the A1 shortly after just to be sure, and it managed max RPM just fine ;)

f79530273d0acd49a825eb21d8830d76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Faisal_s5 and Thundercliffe81
You should get that checked out, and while you're there get them to check the handbrake too as you seem to have been travelling at 2mph when you were "sat with handbrake on"!

Reactions: orcomma
And also get the yellow triangle light at the top of the cluster swapped for a red "handbrake on" symbol :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: gldy_b
So I got this randomly today. Was sat with handbrake on so took a quick photo (ignore Magic FM, I was scrolling through channels...honest ;))

No engine sound change, or anything, so I assumed it was a software issue. Once I stopped, I restarted car and it disappeared!! Still a bit worrying so have booked into garage at the end of November. Will keep you all posted in case an issue for others.

I gave it the beans down the A1 shortly after just to be sure, and it managed max RPM just fine ;)

Haha, well creeping might have been more accurate lol

And also get the yellow triangle light at the top of the cluster swapped for a red "handbrake on" symbol :tearsofjoy:

Damn the picture never lies

I had exactly the same thing a week ago. Restarted the car and it disappeared. Thankfully, hasn't reappeared since!

Reactions: Joetidman
I had exactly the same thing a week ago. Restarted the car and it disappeared. Thankfully, hasn't reappeared since!

That’s interesting, sounds like it might be software then...

I had the same thing yesterday. Rang local audi to book it in. Got back in my car and it had cleared. Hasn't come back yet.

I had a similar fault pop up on my bmw m135i. Came up twice during 18 months I had it.

Always worth a trip to see them with something like this, or even if you just log it with them over the phone/email! The event will be logged on the cars memory, if you were to ignore it and keep driving and anything were to happen in the future, they 'could' say that you ignored the warning and it's now not covered under warranty!

We had it in work on the company diesel cars, people were getting the DPF light coming on and ignoring it, then when the DPF got fully blocked it was an expensive repair! Now if you get a car with a DPF you have to sign to say that you are aware of the DPF light and if it comes on to do what you should! If you don't and it gets blocked, you will be charged for the repair...which is fair enough I think :)

I had that happen on my new S5 too. I drove it home and let it sit, restarted and error was still there. I ended up having it towed to dealer. They said it was a loose oil fill cap , which caused vacuum leak in crankcase, etc. They put the cap back on and all was right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting. Do you mean the oil cap that we can use to top up the oil? I got the error again today twice. Restarting cleared it but it’s both annoying and a bit worrying that it has come back

Interesting. Not heard this at all on S4s.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

My one keeps coming on now (at least once a week) - took it to audi and as it clears after restarting the engine, they couldn’t see anything wrong.

Anybody know what the cause of this is?

Interesting. Do you mean the oil cap that we can use to top up the oil? I got the error again today twice. Restarting cleared it but it’s both annoying and a bit worrying that it has come back

Yes exactly. It was the oil fill cap. They said it was loose, or not seated properly. Mine has never come back on again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a quick update - took my car in on Monday and it was a problem with the coolant fan. Had to be replaced and just got the car back today.

If anyone else gets this warning, don’t ignore and take it to the dealer ASAP.

Mine goes in on Monday, so will update when I have any feedback. It looks like it could be due to a number of different problems

I had this pop up a few days ago but it disappeared when I next restarted it. Hasn't reappeared since.

Interestingly no orange triangle warning light

20171211 155206

Mine goes in on Monday, so will update when I have any feedback. It looks like it could be due to a number of different problems

Hi mate - any update from Audi on yours? Was it the same as mine with the coolant fan?

So it appears it was the fan control unit that was faulty. Getting fixed right now and back tomorrow

As an aside I’ve been given an A6 Sline ultra as a courtesy car. It’s comfy, very quiet and competent at least, but in this cold weather the traction is very poor. It’s 2WD and I get wheel spin just pulling away from junctions in he morning. I guess I’m so used to Quattro it came as a shock. No idea if the tyres are different as an ultra model as well?

Also, I amused myself by tracking their progress through the mmi app, and made sure they didn’t put loads of miles on the clock. I could see when the bonnet was open, and where it was located. Very reassuring

Reactions: MrSkimo and Faisal_s5