Engine lost all it's oil!

eagle_s3

Reaction score
The reason being, I put a hole in the sump while out driving some back roads.

Having some nice fast back road driving, and the car bottomed out over a very uneven bit of road. It took a really heavy hit and after a short distance the oil warning light came on. Stopped the car right away, got out and looked behind the car to see a nice oil slick on the road. Down on hands and knees to take a look and the oil was draining out a nice big hole.

After waiting hours on the AA to sort out recovery the car was taken to a local recovery centre. They have a garage and I will be asking them to assess the damage on Monday.

I was wondering if anyone could assist in getting the part number for the sump. As I think it would be a straight forward enough job to do myself.

The car - 2001 Y reg S3 with 210 AMK engine.

Cheers.

Ouch!, sounds like you might have stopped the engine just in the nick of time, hope you get it sorted soon. Just out of curiosity, is your car lowered or running standard height?

******!

Part number is:
038 103 601 MA if you do not have the sump sensor
038 103 603 M if you do have the sensor.

There is no gasket, you use silicone rtv sealant instead. Make sure you don't do mad with the sealant otherwise it'll goo into the engine.

You'll be ok as long as you weren't caning it. Even with no oil at all, there remains a coating on everything which should protect for a mile or two (pottering along).

Castrol did some tests years ago and this particular engine drove for about 15 miles with no oil as I recall.

yer sorry to hear mate
the s3 does have a low sump as standard. Lowering it makes it even more prone to being ripped off

You'll be ok as long as you weren't caning it. Even with no oil at all, there remains a coating on everything which should protect for a mile or two (pottering along).

Castrol did some tests years ago and this particular engine drove for about 15 miles with no oil as I recall.

Indeed, though I'd be more worried if grit or road dirt got in the hole.

Back before I lowered mine I managed to take the sump off on a devious looking hump back bridge.....

Went over 1 bridge with loads of slow signs and everything, turned out to be nothing, so didnt bother slowing down so much for the second bridge, which looked even more tame.

Turns out it was like a sheer drop off the back of the bridge, the whole car went air borne, and the bottom of the sump was ripped clean off!

£145 for a new sump from eurocarparts, and 2 hours work to fit it. Dead easy job.

The only tricky bit is the bolts along between the sump and the gearbox, theyre a nightmare!

Do it yourself for sure.

Car is currently at standard height.

Coming back over the same section of road in the recovery truck and noticed that the road has a sort of double dip in it. Speed and angle of the car have cause the sump to hit bottom and take a serious hit.

For the short distance that we drove after the hit we weren't doing more than 30, and most of the oil drained out once we had stopped. So I don't think there should be any other damage to the engine.

Hoping that no stupid people in the garage decide to turn it on and drive it onto the ramps.

As for the part itself how do you know if you have the one with the sensor or the one without?

Cheers.

Excellent, I'll check what the garage are going to quote for doing the work and have a chat with my friend. He was driving at the time and is paying for the repair.

I had a check on GSF and euro but couldn't find the part. I'll take another look, now that i've got more info.

Cheers for the help guys.

What prawn says is spot on, it's easy enough to get off if you can get under the car but some of the bolts are a serious ball ache.

I managed to hit mine and stopped straight away to check and oil was ******* out. I stopped mine straight away and then saw I'd left a line of oil all down the road... got the hole in mine welded as it was easier and cheaper than a new sump, depends how knackered it is though.

As for the difficult bolts, I think they are the dual type with a 10mm head and a 5mm allen socket. The bolts located close to the bell housing, may be easier to get at with a ball headed allen key.

Ended up just getting the garage to fix the car. The price was reasonable and really I don't have the time at the moment to have done it myself.

Picked it up earlier today and all seems well, however I asked which oil they had used and have found out that it was 10W 40. Which is incorrect.

Car is due the 40K service in 2k miles. Will running with this oil cause any problems?

Cheers.