engine head rebuild

tracer

'96 a4 1.8 se
Reaction score
hi, well just got a quote for repair of my engine. it died on me a couple of weeks back. lost all power, lights up on dash etc, and unfortunately went out with a real crack so i knew it was serious. immediately thought timing belt, but it was still whole and in place. lifted off covers and found the securing bolt for the cam pulley had sheared off and there were some shavings lying nearby. closer inspection revealed that also the key had sheared so the pulley was no longer being driven along with the rest of timing stuff. oh dear.

towed it to my usual garage (local independant) and they have got the head off. turns out theres a good few bent valves, camshaft is pretty much wrecked, also something about a chain between the shafts which has gone so its worse than they first thought. thats the jist of it anyway, gonna go in and see it after easter weekend.

been quoted £900 all-in, thats assuming they need 12 hours labour, the guy reckons he'l only need 10 hours but is kinda preparing me for the worst case scenario.

the price was a bit of a shock to the system, but i'm coming round to it as being the best option. at least then i know what i've got.

what do you guys think?

thought so much about it and changed my mind loads of times but i really have to get my car fixed. i have contemplated that because of its age and resale value it may not be worth it but the rest of the car is so tidy that there's no way i'm offloading it. its actually quite scary just how attached i am to it.

seen mawhitey was doing that (or bryzan is he's now known :) thought he'd like left or somethin for a while there!)

but i have no idea whats all involved........

There's a bloke on ebay that recons heads for £375 I think. Can have a 2 day turnaround too. Where's his ad...

Linky

I'm assuming the majority of the £900 you've been quoted is for the labour to replace the valves etc so might be worth considering...

very interesting reading, but.... the mechanic originally thought it would just be valves needing replaced but as there's all this other stuff to be done the price of the job has been upped, so even if i got the reconditioned head i'd still have lots more work to be done.

Its likely that if there are bent valves then there are damaged pistons, which would need replacing, this is because if there is a gouge in the piston crown it will get hotter than the surrounding metal and cause detonation.

You're better off looking for a recon engine or a scrapper to get an engine from, if the cam key has sheared off then the cam must have seized, this only really happens if the oilways are blocked and probably means the bearings are shot.

Well, my engine swap is going to be cheaper than that,(just) But it has taken nearly 12 mnths to collect all of the parts needed. I have the full engine with manifolds,engine loom,ecu,dash,turbo,water pipes,turbo pipes,gearbox. As well as swapping out the waterpump,timing gear etc whilst it is accessable.

I aim to start mine when my tribe go on holiday with the inlaws in just under a month, so i dont get told off for dirty fingerprints,lol

is it a 20v?
drop in a decent low mileage engine from a scrappy, sell the engine and block on eBay. (20v NA engines are proper track day material in Mk1 Golfs, you might get £50 for a dead engine block and a stripped head may go for £100 depending on what port size it has.
New engines for 1.8t only run £1000-1500 with all loom keys clocks etc, your engine by itself will be less the £900 by a long way.

yip its 20v n/a , dono where my sig went!?, best quote i've had so far is £350 + vat delivered for same engine as mine, was off a 98 model with 60,000 on clock apparently. 1.8T versions are like rockin horse muck, not one of the places i called had one to offer.

still gonna take some amount of labour costs to get it fitted but hopefully will come in under the original quote. guy reckons it'l be easier using the head, and bits required off the newer engine, plus new timing belt, rather then swapping the whole thing

will call 4ring spares the morn, they are closed. and try a few others but i think this is the route i'm gonna go for.

never thought i would get anything for a dead engine jcb, will keep it in mind.

eh?

if you get an engine for £350, no way it cost £600 to drop in! he is having a laugh, you and you mate could do it begging and borrowing tools.
If he is charging £30-40 an hour he is proposing it will take him 15-20 hours to swap an engine...I could do that with a pair of mole grips and a hammer!

he is taking the p!ss if he wants to strip a newer engine to replace parts, Drop the whole thing in, take the opportunity to change all the usual belts, filters etc.
your man sounds a bit dodgy from your description.

£350 is a good price delivered, get a guarantee if it is blown though, pain as you only know when it is in!

I was quoted £150 for an S3 1.8t block with a blown piston! you will get some money out of yours. if it is a bigger port head I will buy it off you!

where are you?

i had the same problem mate when my engine went, i've got the place i got mine from if u want there number.

they were really decent, the cheapest price i found for the complete engine, around 400 delivered. based up north somewhere...

my mechanic charged around 500 quid (including parts and labour) all together, but he replaced my clutch, engine mounts, water pump, all belts, serviced the engine (as you would), did the cv joints as well.

jcb, mole grips and a hammer - i like it. nah guy is ok like, have had work done in the past and he's genuine and reasonably priced. but yeah i would've thought it would be easier dropping the whole thing in there. tools is not a problem but as for doing a diyer with a mate, it sounds good, but could end in disaster?? i'm in elgin, way up in north of scotland.

a4singh, would really appreciate their details thanks.

cheers mate, tried them but they don't have one just now.

actually decided to go for original option to repair my own engine. figure that the price of £350 + vat for engine was good but then thats £411 inc vat, plus a guess at 10 hours labour to either swap it out completely, or swap the head, and fit new timing belt etc, 330 + vat so £387 inc. thats me up to £800 already.

this way i'l be getting all new genuine parts and i'l know what i've got. its the option i'm happiest with after a hell of a lot of thought going into it.

thanks for everyones input, much appreciated. oh and keep us updated on the turbo upgrade mark

unfortunatly you are in scotland, but i got an engine from "the engine shop" in erith, near dartford, they are very well proced for recon units, but he maybe able to repair/recon your head. they quote in the ad for £300 i think for fitting an engine.

www.theengineshop.info

try AVB (Audi Volkswagen breakers!) 01506840200 - 07887871516 dave ( Whitecross, linlithgow)