Engine Flush??

ryanstewart9

Reaction score
Ok the car is going in for her 2nd AVS service next month and just wondered if it was worth using an engine flush? I believe this will only be the second time she has been serviced in 36k miles, the first and only service in the book was done at 16k miles?

Just after peoples opinion on whether the car would benefit from a flush or would I just be wasting my time/money?

Thanks....

Car is a 2.0 140 TDi

36k, I see no point at all tbh, but personal preference I guess, its only just been driven in for that mileage, only things I would do with knowledge of the poxy turbo's now would be to remove turbo & check/clean vanes & also give the inatke manifold a clean, apart from that shouldnt need it tbh, but if its under warranty then wouldnt bother with even these things.

You should never need to use engine flush on a modern engine, if you do there must be something wrong with the engine. I personally wouldn`t use it on an old engine either.

You should never need to use engine flush on a modern engine, if you do there must be something wrong with the engine. I personally wouldn`t use it on an old engine either.

Interesting, I was thinking about this the other day if it could do any damage if it was left in the engine for longer than it should be (or at higher revs) ???

I was planning on doing a flush tomorrow. 2.0L TDI with 99K miles on it. Would an engine flush be of no benefit on an engine that has done that much work?

I was planning on doing a flush tomorrow. 2.0L TDI with 99K miles on it. Would an engine flush be of no benefit on an engine that has done that much work?

Personally i believe you will do more damage then good. Removing the carbon deposits that have built up in the cylinder, on piston rings, gaskets etc will only more likely cause the engine to rattle more afterwards and cause oil leaks or pressure drops in the engine. If you want to clean the internals of the sump etc mix 50/50 thin oil and diesel and run for a minute or so as diesel has added cleaning agents and will remove the gunk and soft rubbish laying around inside the engine. Drain the 50/50 mix out and leave to drip empty as long as possible then change oil filter and fill with new oil.

Totally agree with devonmikeyboy.

I remember a nice story from the guy who built the engines on both of my Cosworths,when someone had changed from cheap multigrade oil to the synthetic he should have been using,only to have the bearings on his turbo fall to bits soon after.

The nice new synthetic oil had dissolved most of the burnt in junk that was holding the bearings in place.

Thanks guys,
Give me an example of 'Thin oil'? What volume of 50/50 mix are we talking about?

Thanks.

Castrol Edge Sport ( 0-40 ) or Mobile 1 ( 0-40 ) or any other 0-40 grade oil really i tend to use. I use the same total amount as i would use in a normal service.

Last edited: