Engine flaws

TEBO

Reaction score
Does anyone know of certain engines that are flawed or anything like that? mine was built in June 2015. Input would be much appreciated.

Apart from minor revisions of some parts (the waterpump/thermostat housing being one - but they still fail), the engines are the same from beginning to end.

Reactions: Gralegav and TEBO
The only common issues that I am aware of (fairly new S1 owner) is the wastegate rod rattle. From what I was told is that it doesn't hurt the engine at all, just a weird metallic scraping noise that you may hear under WOT. You may also get the fuel pipes rattling against the bodywork in the engine bay on idle, really easy to fix with some foam and zip ties though

Reactions: TEBO
thanks, yeah I've got the fuel pipes rattle, but that was easily fixed. Now to go further into it: is the S1 engine an actual mk7(.5) gti engine with an is20 or is it a mk7(.5) R/S3 engine with an is20 instead of an is38? Couldn't find anything too decisive. everything leans towards the gti, but there are some sites, magazines etc. that suggest it's an R/S3 engine... Thanks anyway!

Reactions: JFH
It's a Golf GTi engine basically, there are differences but it isn't the same as a Golf R or S3 engine with a different turbo (RS3 is 5 cylinder so anywhere you've seen that mentioned basically disregard anything they say :D)

Long story short it's an Audi specific derivative of the EA888 engine that's mostly similar to the Golf GTi.

Reactions: Gralegav, TEBO and JFH
It's a Golf GTi engine basically, there are differences but it isn't the same as a Golf R or S3 engine with a different turbo (RS3 is 5 cylinder so anywhere you've seen that mentioned basically disregard anything they say :D)

Long story short it's an Audi specific derivative of the EA888 engine that's mostly similar to the Golf GTi.
Read carefully and you’d have seen the ‘/‘ used between R/S3 Thanks a lot, all I had to know. I knew about the differences internally between the engines etc. but wasn’t sure about which the S1 is.

Read carefully and you’d have seen the ‘/‘ used between R/S3 Thanks a lot, all I had to know. I knew about the differences internally between the engines etc. but wasn’t sure about which the S1 is.
Oops emoji’s don’t work too good apparently :p

Oops emoji’s don’t work too good apparently :p
Still don't understand? R/S3 means RS3 or S3 in English (presume you're not a native English speaker?). So by definition the engine cannot be based on the RS3 as it is 5 cylinder hence the point I made :)

No matter either way, you know it's not that engine lol

Still don't understand? R/S3 means RS3 or S3 in English (presume you're not a native English speaker?). So by definition the engine cannot be based on the RS3 as it is 5 cylinder hence the point I made :)

No matter either way, you know it's not that engine lol
I meant it was the golf r and s3 engine, hence the ‘/‘. Anyway thanks for making it clear.