engine errors

Shug1874

Reaction score
Ran vag-com with cheapy ebay lead (cannae afford the proper ross tech one but suitably impressed enough to put it on my wish list!) and got the following:

Address 01: Engine
Controller: 06A 906 032 BJ
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT 0002
Coding: 10710
Shop #: WSC 06435
WAUZZZ8LZ1A113700 AUZ7Z0A1809399
2 Faults Found:
17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)
P1297 - 35-00 - -
17545 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1137 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 1C0 907 379 F
Component: ESP ALLRAD MK60 0104
Coding: 0023046
Shop #: WSC 06435
1 Fault Found:
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
003 - Mechanical Failure

Do I need a new bleed/dump valve?
I have wondered on occasion if something wasn't right with turbo cos sometimes felt it was down on power. Most of the time it seems fine tho.
Can't find anything that tells me what the second code is for.

I'm thinking the steering angle sensor is the reason the traction control light is permanently on. Is that an easy/cheap replacement?

The first sounds like the good old Bosch Divertor Valve, a new'un will set you back about £25 but you'd be better going for an after market piston type, such as the Forge or Turbosmart for around 90 squids as the Bpsch ones don't last long.

The wiki says that other fault is
17545/P1137/004407 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Rich

Possible Symptoms

• Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
Possible Causes

• Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor faulty
  • Fuel Pressure Regulator faulty
  • Fuel Injector(s) faulty
  • Oxygen Sensor Control faulty
    • Oxygen Sensor(s) faulty
  • Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System faulty
Engine light was on for a wee bit but disappeared again. Then it does say intermittant.That steering angle sensor just sounds weird!

That's the honey, not sure about the fast/normal question. The forge has interchangeable springs for varying turbo pressures and the turbosmart is adjustable by tightening the tension on the spring

Think I've found the potential problem with the MAF :whistle2:
maf.JPG

On the 17705 issue I had it came down to a split in an oil breather hose, replaced and the fault went.

Stearing angle sensor....
I remember that one !
Right, Best i remember its normaly down the the cars tracking... basicaly the stearing wheel/collumn isnt fully in line with the wheels. Mine used to come and go with faster driving on the motorway being the main trigger. This i was told was down to the fact there is either... all 4 wheels doing same speed but steering wheel not being 100% straight. or the steering wheel being straight but the speed sensors (abs sensors) reading diffrent speeds. After turning the ignition off it normaly goes... only to come back later the same day. Have the car tracked propperly and ask if you can sit in the car and hold the steering wheel BANG SQUARE , I would be shocked if that didnt sort that one...
The other fault is a bit of a grey area... people have the same fault but with diffrent problems... It could be the DV valve. it could be a split breather pipe or any of either the vacum or boost pipes... start with the breather pipes. Then ask to borrow some ones none faulty stock DV. most people have after market ones so somebody will have a spare.
Hope this helps.

Stearing angle sensor....
I remember that one !
Right, Best i remember its normaly down the the cars tracking... basicaly the stearing wheel/collumn isnt fully in line with the wheels. Mine used to come and go with faster driving on the motorway being the main trigger.

Pretty much the same here. Will get it checked at service.:thumbsup: